• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help needed

i have a 8 month old female rabbit she is a cross between a english and a dutch. she is very vigious and goes to bit people and things that are in her way. she has been handled everyday by a number of different people but if you go to pick her up to put her back in the hutch she bites.she currently lives on her own because when i brought her she had to be sold on her own beaucse she was beaten up by the other rabbits. i think she may be lonely but if i get another rabbit iam scared she will attack it beause of what happened to to her when she was a baby. she is not nuteered but is booked in to be nutered in the in may.any ideas welcome.

She should settle right down once shes speyed :D Just sit with her and talk to her, it works wonders. Good luck X

Her behaviour is very typical of a hormonal female, and spaying should improve things a lot. It may take a little while for her hormones to dissipate, and her bad 'habits' may have become learnt (i.e. her hormones have told her to be territorial for so long that even without the hormones she still may be a little bit territorial for a while, until she learns that she doesn't have to be)
Can you get her spayed any sooner? It must be quite frustrating for an animal to be controlled by all those hormones, especially if they're acting aggressive because of it, as they're more likely to be a bit stressed/highly-strung because of it.

the vet i am registered with is fully booked and the nearest date they can give me is the 1st of may. i dont want to use another vet as the other vets in my area do not have as good repeation and are i trust my local vet as he worked wonders with all my other pets

then if there a good vet then its worth the wait :)

just be patient with her, once she is spayed she will calm right down. one of my rabbits was vicious, bit, scratched, u name it! shes now spayed and lives with a neutured male and i havent seen that evil side ever since!:lol:

as for now, try putting her into a carry case to take her 2 the run, or make a ramp if the run is close to avoid angering her by handling :wave:

Where abouts in Surrey are you? There are several rescues in Surrey who obviously have to look around for the best vet so you may be able to get some good recommendations. I'm in Surrey too and my vets are fab with the bunnies and other than a slight bleed in one of my boys' neuters, there've been no problems whatsoever afterwards. They've done my rabbit dentals and also a few other big ops like neuters and tumour removals in rats, emergency leg amputation on a chinchilla, etc.

Back