• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone help please? - Desperatly looking for old rabbit!

Char-x

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone

When I was about 10 my mum made me give up my rabbit to a local Essex rescue (not a shelter). I'm sixteen now so this would have been about 5 or 6 years ago but I really really regret giving him up. Although I realise this is a long shot I was just wondering if anyone out there knows anything.

His name was Sprinkles, he was an un-neautered English male and when given up to a rescue he was about 3 years old aprox:cry:. I have scanned a picture in below:

Sprinklex1.jpg

He was never ever shut away in a hutch when he got old enough and he was always allowed out in the garden playing and liked to mate footballs :lol::oops:

I really wish I hadn't of given him up although if he would have stayed in the last few years he wouldnt have been allowed to be loose since all the neighbours have decided to purchase about 20 cats between them. :roll: It wasn't my mums fault though as he wasn't getting the attention he needed because he would nip sometimes if I got too close to him and his toy balls and being young I got slightly nervous. I didnt ignore him or anything, he got lots of strokes, but he deserved more. So it probabaly was for the best, although now I've gotten older I have Guinea Pigs and they live in huge home made cages indoors so I wish I had known about these when I had him - although he loved the outdoors.

Sorry to ramble just miss him! :[

I'm not sure what specific one it was, I have e-mailed all those in Essex but haven't heard anything yet. :(

where abouts in e ssex are you? im in essex too. the chances of finding him would probably be pretty slim if you dont know which rescue :( x

I think to be honest it'll be hard to trace him if you don't know which rescue he went to - and also 9years old is pretty old for a bun, I don't want to upset you, but he may well be at Rainbow Bridge now.x

well if he isnt at rainbow bridge by now(and lets face it many of us have older buns who are still hopping happy- myself included.) if you do trace him thru a rescue and to his new home then be aware that the new owners may not want to meet you or disclose anything about him to you in case you tried to take him from them i think it would be nice for you to have some closure to know where he is but you must be aware you would not be able to take him back now. i wish you all the best in your quest and i hope you get the closure you need.

I do hope you find where your rabbit is, for your peace of mind.- (some rabbits live to 12yrs so don't give up hope - though 9yrs IS old for a rabbit) - though you may not be able to have him back as he's probably really happy in his new home now.

As he went to a rescue -they would have done a homecheck and made sure he went to a good loving home, and so the new owners might not want to give him back to you?

I once had a rabbit from a lady where she gave her up because the rabbit kept escaping into next door where neighbours had dogs. (Her 7yr old son had been bitten by one dog whilst saving the rabbit). Also she was at work and unable to give the rabbit as much run as possible. The lad was upset even though I gave his mum an open invite to come and see the rabbit in my garden with her bunny friend anytime, which he did sometimes.
For years I felt awful about the son being upset, but for the rabbit's sake, she had a long happy life in my large garden and was very loved.

I'm sure the person who had your rabbit from the rescue loves and cares for her very much. - Sue :wave:

Pets that we had as children give us wonderful memories and i know how sad you must feel.He may have gone to the rainbow bridge,but maybe you will find out something.Do you have a pet of your own now?

Jackie

Thanks for the replies everyone. I definatly wouldn't want him back, since like you all said if he is still alive (I wasn't sure if he would be) they would have only given him to a good home where he would be perfectly happy now. Also since we gave him up the amount of cats around here has got to a point where he would have to be stuck away somewhere for his own safety and that wouldnt be at all fair on him.

I wouldn't even expect to go see him, I just would like to know if he got a home and how he is doing - again, if he is still alive. I will ask my mum if she knows what rescue took hims. I just feel guilty for giving him up.

Thanks again for all you're replies! I have got two dogs and three Guinea Pigs (pictures etc in my intro thread). :p

Good luck and keep persisting with the rescues. Sometimes they are too busy but I'm sure they will be willing to help. Trying phoning or even visiting if you are close by.

I'm afraid that the shelter/rescue won't be able to give you contact details for his new owners because it's against the law (Data Protection Act).

Sorry :(

Amy

What a lovely story. But is it possible for that rescue center to email or call that new owner and ask for the history of that bunny, the bunny overall health etc. and explain the reason being that the original owner wants an update of the bunny's status? This would has to be done at a manager level of the rescue center, regular staff won't bother.

I had a hard time at the local rescue center because one of the staff is a *****, quoting rules that simply doesn't exists. I end up w/ signing the contract w/ another staff and everything works fine. So it all depends on who you talk to.

I also disagree w/ the possibility that this bunny may passed away. We have a thread on oldest rabbits, and that range from 16 to 18 yr. old. There is no reason to believe this bunny has already passed away.

Back