• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question for rabbit rescues

elaine

Mama Doe
I am wondering if other rescues are finding more and more rabbits coming in have teeth/behaviour problems. I seem to have had quite a few recently particularly behaviour being very aggressive and meaning to bite properly if they can make contact with skin, I am also finding when the rabbits go for neuter they are found to heave either absesses near back teeth or bad spurs

Elaine

I'm not that up on rabbits, I have only joined in hope of finding one I gave up a few years ago..but I thought that maybe it is because of the rising amount of rabbits being brought in pet stores. They aren't particularry cared for when it comes to health and they aren't handled too much and when they are it's usually by someone who hasn't got a clue? Not sure but it would make some sense I guess.

Elaine are you sure its not the time of year? Un-neutered rabbits, particularly females, get realy grumpy as the days begin to get longer and the breeding season begins.

I havn't seen any fluctuation in dental needs though. We have never had one with a dental abcess yet.

Are they all coming from a similar area Elaine? Quite poss that a breeder who supplied a pet shop round here wasnt too good, perhaps? X

We've never had a bun in with an abcess.... the odd one with aggression but they seem to turn around in approx. 2 weeks:D
So no change here....

even when the does have been spayed they havn't improved sometimes got worse, yes they do seem to be coming from one area which does make me wonder, In all the time I have been doing rescue I have never had a spell like this

Back