• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shelves in dog crates: How??

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Those of you with upper levels in your dog crates - how did you fix them on/up?

And are the shelves 'wood'/ply?

We have the largest size dog crate and would like to fit a shelf/upper level that stretches about a third of the way across.

I'd like to get it done today!! so any help would be much appreciated (have checked through old posts but can't quite see HOW these were done)

it's quite easy...........
get 2 strips of wood and put them through the bars of the dog crate then cut a shelf to fit and screw on to the strips of wood!.........:)

mine have a square piece of wood that is held on the bars by brass hooks

CIMG0278-1.jpg

I made a shelf for Storm & Mallow's crate using the instructions on the forum. It's quite easy. I made mine curved which looks nice especially when both doors on the crate are open. I carpeted the crate, gave them a little house which doubles as a step up to the shelf, gave them a ceramic tile for the times they want to lie on a cold surface, added water & a litter tray.
LOL I don't know why I bothered - look at where the buns prefered to sit:roll:
DSC00219.jpg

What I did with my cage (not a dog crate but it will work with a dog crate) is I cut a piece of 9mm exterior grade plywood to shape for a shelf. Got lengths of wood strips (30mm x 15mm sort of size) that are slightly longer than the crate. Put them through so they rest on the bars. Place the shelf on top and secure the shelf to the wood strips with wood glue and nails/screws. That way you don't have to touch the crate at all, but the shelf is secure and can't move and strong enough to cope with thumping bunnies.

I made a shelf for Storm & Mallow's crate using the instructions on the forum. It's quite easy. I made mine curved which looks nice especially when both doors on the crate are open. I carpeted the crate, gave them a little house which doubles as a step up to the shelf, gave them a ceramic tile for the times they want to lie on a cold surface, added water & a litter tray.
DSC00219.jpg

I had to laugh at that... the looks on their faces. :lol::lol:

Thanks everyone! Shrelf now in place (on wooden bars - but really liked the look of the hooks one so might add a second!).

Doubtless buns will still prefer to sit on top of crate!!!

thanks

DSC00219.jpg

Did they jump up there themselves? :shock:

Yes they can jump up on the bedside table very easily. They also jump on to the shelf in the crate from outside the crate.

If rabbits can enter the steeplechase event at the next Olympics - mine will win the gold medal!

Back