• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help - bunnies not right......update

cheryl21

Warren Scout
I tried using megazorb for my bunnies hutch, but last week noticed that Bud was eating it - he then developed a runny bottom, so I have stopped using it, thinking that was the cause of his runny bum. Also last weekend, I got some new hay for them off a farmer that I've never been to before. It smells sweet and isnt dusty, so I thought it would be ok. Yesterday, I cleaned their hutch out and they seemed ok, but some morning pellets were still there - this is unusual for them. I gave them their greens at tea time, went back to give them their night-time pellets and the greens were still there, this never happens. They're always sat waiting for food and go straight to it when I put it down. I've been in this morning, and there's runny poo on the floor, I think that this is Bud, but I can't be sure (His urine is bright orange too). Last nights pellets are still there and some of the greens. Also, they haven't drunk a lot of water.

Stella used to have problems with her poos, but since switching them to pellets, she's been ok, I think (as I said I can't be sure who's mess it was this morning). They're both hopping around this morning, but I know something is wrong, they didnt go straight to their pellets when I put fresh down. I havent given them any greens this morning to try and settle their tummy's. I don't know what the cause is or what to do for the best. Maybe I was feeding too many greens?

Stella has always had runny eyes, the vets haven't been able to find the cause, and when we got Bud, he started cleaning them for her straight away. I havent had to do it since we got him, until this morning - he's not cleaned them up.

Sorry for the long post, but somethings not right.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Have you seen them eat today? If not, I would get them to a vet ASAP(I mean today) because if they have GI Stasis, the longer you wait the chance there is of a positive outcome.

The weeeping eyes could be caused by teeth problems, so it is worth gettign your vet to check.

Not sure on what's causing the runny bum, if they are getting the amount of greens they're used to, they should be OK on them. Really, you need to see a vet and take a poo sample to see what is cuasing the problem.

Lots of vibes

FC xx

thanks for your reply. Stella's eyes have been bad for ages but she has had everything checked. I havent needed to give her any drops or cream since we got him cos he cleans them up.

I havent seen them eat anything today but I was keeping out of the way so they didnt get distracted. I'll go check in a min.

Also, something I forgot to mention, probably nothing to do with it but, Bud has recently started pouncing on Stella and grunting at her - he has never done this before. He has always been placid.

Ive just been out and tried giving them a treat - Stella took hers and ate it. Bud just turned his nose up. Stella then went and had a drink. I think she's ok, which is strange as its Stella that usually has the most problems.

I tried to give Bud some carrots tops (which are his favorite), he did have some but was just nibbling, he usually eats then right up. He didnt seem too bothered and is now just sitting in the run. Meanwhile, Stella has found the carrot tops and has eaten them for him. He seems to be a bit lathargic. This isn't good is it?:cry:

they had their jabs on monday too, i don't know what's wrong!!!

I was just looking at another thread and it said on there that dark wee could be due to stress and not feeling well.

I would telephone your Vet now and ask for some advice. The longer you leave it the more poorly Bud may become.

Good luck and please keep us posted

Janex :)

bunnies not right - update

I phoned the emergency vet yesterday - he said Bud didn't sound too bad and to leave it til this morning - I wasn't really impressed, but he had me feel his spine and pinch his skin - said he wasn't dehydrated. He said just to keep trying him with food. He didnt eat anything and hasnt been pooping.

I phoned the vet first thing this morning and have taken him in. He's had a painkiller, something to boost his appitite and some vitamins. He also gave me something called recovery, for me to give him throughout the day. I brought him home and put him back in the outhouse. I've given him some carrot tops and he's eaten 3!!! The vet seems to think its his teeth but I dont think so - he had them checked last monday when he went for his jab. The vet he saw today seems to be a bit dental happy with bunnies and I dont really like seeing him but there was no-one else. He told me stella needed teeth removing but when they put her under anesthetic, she only needed them burring down. He seems to blame everything on teeth. Bud has never had a problem with his teeth - I know this doesn't mean that he never will but I'm not convinced that this is the problem this time.

I'm just glad he's eaten something :thumb::D

Hiya as the mum of a dental bun i know how difficult it can be for vets to see problems due to the small space in a buns mouth....my dental bun had 4 dentals over the space of a week by 4 different vets and each 1 said her teeth were fine then she started bleeding from the mouth and it turned out to be a molar spur. The signs we had as they've been everytime are not eating or only selectively eating or just a lil bit then drooling, lethargy and generally looking down. If bun isnt eating you should be trying to syringe feed him 5mls every hour my miffy takes it better when it's warm its just gotten her through another weekend without having to pay for out of hour fees, she's gone in this morning and right at the back of her mouth she's bleeding again so they're going to attempt to remove her molar.

Dental problems are the most common cause for rabbits not eating, if bun does have spurs it will need them filing down or te problem will just get worse and it may cause life long problems.

Really hope your bun picks up soon, perhaps bring him inside if he's an outdoor bun then you can monitor him as you need to make sure he's still pooping and weeing xxx

Back