• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi, What is it?

huney

New Kit
Hi,
Just a quick story, I came home from collecting the children from school to discover a tiny baby bunny huddled up on our doorstep.

As I didn't have time to check it out, I just scooped it up and popped it in a box. My first thoughts were that it was a cottontail.

I came back about 1/2 hour later to check it and noticed something odd.:shock: Not bad odd, just not what I expected.

This little bunny has a very distinct coat. I am assuming it must be a cross between domestic breeds. Which means someone dumped the poor little mite.
As I am curious to what breed may have this type of fur, I will describe the coat as best I can. Can any tell me what it may be.

3 layers of colour on each hair:bottom orange, middle black, top brillian red/gold (very glossy. The fur has a distinct curl at the very top. This gives the rabbit a varigated appearance as the middle black layer shows through in flecks where the fur curls. It has a fairly thick undercoat much like a british shorthair cat (orange in colour) and quite a lot of white tiped gourd hairs. Its chest and legs are quite fluff orage with a white tummy. 2 white spots near the corner of each eye and another in the centre of its forehead. Its ears are small (not lop) and the fur around it's face is quite full giving it's cheeks a fuller look.

It's probably just a heinz variety but the whole family are amazed with it's spectacular coat. So if anyone can shed any light onto its breeding, I would love to hear your ideas.

huney

Last edited:
Sorry for my rambling? I googled harlequin but I think I have been confusing in my description :oops:

Little buns colour if fairly uniform, I guesse it's the curl at the top that makes it puzzling. each individual hair has 3 colours

Red/gold (with little 1/2 curl)
black
orange
skin.

Now I have probably confused everyone more than ever:?.

Any ideas?

Huney

Back