• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Garden Pond-Safe?

Kibbles

Mama Doe
I was wondering if I could let Starsky free-range around the garden; I thought this was an impossibility because we have a pond. Is he likely to fall in or will it be fine?

I suspect there is always the possibility that he would jump in...

Those octaganol runs you could put around the pond? Then he wouldnt be able too

Well the pond is surrounded by rocks, but its still ground level enough; I still cant let him freerange yet because I have to get chicken wire to cover up the holes in the fence.

What are the octagonal runs?

I would def make sure he cant get near pond - some years ago my niece's rabbit drowned in their pond as he managed to get out of his hutch during the night and got in there somehow. He couldnt get back out as the sides were sloped.

If possible, I would go with the suggestion of surrounding pond or covering it with mesh if you can.

Good luck with it!

As long as there is an area where he can get out (which you should have anyway for hedgehogs) then I wouldn't worry. Rabbits can 'swim' if necessary so he should get himself out. The getting out area should be a bank/slop that is level with or below the water level so they can climb/walk on to it.

Tam

Why not cover the pond with Chicken wire?
Then he wont be able to fall in!

Doh! Lol thanks.

I might actually surround his hutch with chicken wire, that way he can run about all the time.

ETA: Just read on another post that chicken wire breaks easily, so ill go ahead with that pond and fence instead. :oops:

Last edited:
My Buns have got this:
DSC00246.jpg

(its a bit of a mess there, but we have since streighetened it out, but the buns still try and mess it up)

Its great for them

Back