• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox-proof runs

Ben's mum

Warren Veteran
Just wondered if I could see some pics of specifically fox-proof runs (i.e those of you who know you get foxes around/have had foxes visit before and made sure the run is extra safe) as I'm looking at building a permanent run on the side of the shed but living surrounded by farmland there are definately foxes around.

HI,

I don't think you can buy such a thing, you have to adapt what is available.
I have my runs mounted on one layer of bricks which stops them rotting and sealed with no nails to the brick.

You must put wire under the runs as a fox can dig under and you must use proper stong wire not chicken wire which will break easier.

All openings I would use padlocks on as well .

Hope this helps

Maureen

Yup, I intend to build it and have seen a few done with the PWS panels but wondered if there were any other designs people had come up with

I'd be very cautious about using the PWS panels because the gaps are easily wide enough for a fox to get a paw or nose through, and could easily lead to a bun getting it's tail, leg, etc grabbed through the mesh.

Are you actually adjacent to farmland, or just nearby, in a residential area?

Rural foxes are far more timid than their city cousins, and so they are actually less likely to enter built up areas and gardens ;)

We live within a 5 minute walk of downs and farmland, but within an estate that has a main road through it and our garden is surrounded by others. I have never seen a fox around on the estate on my early morning or late night walks - badgers, bats, hedgehogs, rabbits, ducks and even a barn owl - but never a fox; they seem to stay out in the fields where we see them on a regular basis ;)

Obviously, there is always a small risk, so it is best to take precautions - and cats pose a problem in more built up areas (they are a real nuisance for me); but I am grateful that I don't share my garden with urban foxes, as they can be a real problem :(

What would you be puting it on as if you put it on slabs that way the fox's cant get in, also puting a double layer of mesh maybe wood in between seperating it so their isnt direct contact if a fox did come by, also if you put wood as a frame you could put the wood quite close together so its stronger, if that makes sense xx

There's literally the 2cm-ish of wooden fence between our garden and the farmland :lol: I know the foxes are a lot more timid, they'll dash off if they hear you tap on your window when they're all the way on the other side of the field, but there have been fox poos in our garden (especially as our current dog doesn't spend half as much time outside as our last dog did) so I know they do occasionally brave it.
I'd probably keep it closed overnight but wouldn't want to even chance a fox strolling past during the day.
I'd like to keep it grassed so was thinking of laying strong mesh or something under the ground and putting soil over it to plant some grass seeds, so buns can't dig out and foxes can't dig in (or flip the run as I'd attach the base to the sides). I'd also want to make it rat-proof so if I used a thicker wire (I wouldn't personally use PWS pens but maybe some puppy pens with the 1.5"-ish bar spacing) I'd mesh over it too.
Wondered if the 16g galvanised mesh used for chinchilla cages would be strong enough/suitable, though it's uncoated so probably wouldn't be very weather-proof.

I've always found the half inch square mesh (the type with the small holes) to be fine in 16g. :D

The mesh with larger holes needs to be slightly more heavy weight because it sometimes tends to snap.

Rog made a run for the front of Floss and Bournville's hutch which is on the patio. He used heavy weld mesh . I was worried that mice might get in so he put another layer of fine mesh on top of the weld mesh.
DSC01517.jpg

This run is 6 years old now - we had it attached to a hutch before the shed. The frame is 2"x2" treated wood in the main & the weldmesh 1" 16g galvanised steel. Underneath is a sheet of very thick 2" steel mesh which I think is really meant for re-inforcing concrete :lol: but it was going cheap at the time. It sits on concrete path edgings to keep it level and away from the damp ground. It's bolted into the shed framework and weighted down by the paving slabs inside. I gave up with grass ages ago - it was impossible to maintain and I use bark chips instead now.

Run.jpg

Our local fox has a good sniff about and then carries on with his tour of the neighbourhood. Not seen him for a while but then we do have some new neighbours who keep chickens.

Mike

That Run is fantastic! I might just come and steal it tonight - and the buns:rolleyes:

Don't be supprised if you wake up tommorrow and your Run, Shed and Buns have gone- Lol:lol:

We bought these from Forsham Arks (three seperate runs in a row with hutches inside). They sit on concrete slabs at the edges and grass inside (on top of wire mesh).

We also bought electric fox fencing from them.

We also use 2 'foxwatch' bleepers (sonic deterrents)

Since we did all this we have not had a single fox re-visit!

We used to have them making 'reconaissance' visits at night , leaving fox pooh; and also the neighbours started having them in the day. No foxes have been seen since we did this.

P2040036.jpg
[/IMG]
P2040010.jpg
[/IMG]

Back