• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding Bonded Bunnies questions

Becca6

Mama Doe
All being well today, Bella and T will be staying together tonight on the landing/bathroom. If that works they'll be moving into two shared cages tomorrow.

I'm concerned about what happens at feeding time. Bell is quite food and cage territorial, although during their slow bond this week they have happily shared hay from the hay box and litter tray on the landing.

Bell eats all her pellets (morning) and veg (evening) very quickly, whereas T takes his time and always leaves some for later - except his bedtime pellets as they only get a few and they're gone very quickly. I'm worried T will miss out as she will eat hers and then go and finish his.

Is this likely to cause any aggression? Do I need to reduce her quantity of both to allow for the fact she'll be getting more?

T won't starve as the pellets and veg are a small part of their diet and there will always be more than enough hay for both of them. Since starting them on Dust Free Hay T has been eating (and pooing) more hay than ever.

I'm mainly worried about aggression and just a bit bothered about him missing out.

I think I'll carry on feeding them in separate bowls and possibly different areas of their cages if it gets to that point.

Any hints, tips or suggestions? I'd hate for things to go wrong because of this after the progress they've made this week.

Anyone? I'd really appreciate any tips as I'll be doing their veg soon and don't want to start a fight after they've done so well. Just to know how you feed your bonded bunnies would help.

Bunnybekkie makes sure that the bowl is out between the two to prevent squabbles.

as im in the process of bonding, i would probably do the same once bonded nx

Not sure, mine usually dont leave pellets for later :lol: I mostly handfeed pellets so I know they are getting the same but mine dont get very many x

It might be worth scattering the veg around the area rather than in one sopt, so that they can eat away from each other.:D

i erm just leave em to it :oops::oops:

pearls got a bigger gob so she gets a bit more, but alvin is learning to eat faster lol

When I'm bonding buns, I always spread food around the cage rather than have bowls. It avoids anybun guarding 'their' bowl.

Re. buns eating at different speeds...there's not a lot you can do, although putting their pellets in a treat dispenser ball might stop Bella eating everything really quickly.

I have to separate ones of my pairs during meal times because the girl eats so much faster than her husbun, who has dental problems.

Amy

Jelly is alot like your bella! as weve said before lol!
She will nudge peanut out the way and grunt t him when i put the bowl down, and i used to just leave them to it cus after the initial scoff she dus share, but one time she pushe dhis face out and he looked at me with a expression of pure sadness! so now they have a bowl each, next to each other, and i put jellys down first. dont know if it will help in ur situ

xx

Thanks everyone - much appreciated :D

I think a treat ball is a great idea - Bell has occasionally had pellets in one so she's familiar with them.

Never thought of
scattering the veg - duh. Bell is protective of her bowl so that's a great way of doing it and removing that issue completely.

I'll see how it goes - T will either realise he needs to eat all his pellets in one go, or I'll perhaps have to hand feed what he doesn't eat immediately.

Jelly is alot like your bella! as weve said before lol!

They certainly are! Maybe they're long lost sisters :lol: :lol: You can't help but love these feisty girlie buns. Very glad Jelly is better.

Back