• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit with a tattoo!!!!

I've never heard of it before, I've only seen rings but I don't have a lot of experience regarding breeding. Don't like the idea of it tho! :cry:

i've heard of it too. tattooing is supposed to be less stress than rings. personally i hate the idea of either!!! what's wrong with NAMING them !!!

poor bunster

just reading through that first link,,, the advantages of this new tattooing system. one of them is

Ear veins remain intact and available for ear bleeding.

now what is ear bleeding? this has me worried as it sounds positively medieval...!!!

and the poor bunny int he second link looks very unhappy :(

just reading through that first link,,, the advantages of this new tattooing system. one of them is

now what is ear bleeding? this has me worried as it sounds positively medieval...!!!

and the poor bunny int he second link looks very unhappy :(

Probably for taking blood samples. The ear veins are the most obvious place to take from if the vet is confident enough.

To be honest I can see why people would do it rather than ringing when it's an animal that may be desirable for breeding and as such a possible target for theft.

Tattoos on animals are done in a very different manner than tattoos on people, given the gague of the needle used to put in a microchip I don't think it's going to really be that much more painful, it certainly doesn't go as deep for a tattoo.

i know that some rabbits get tatooed abroad and then when they are shipped to this county,the number registers with their pedigree papers to ensure you get the right rabbit.x

My cat got tattood in the ear, because back then they did not offer microchips. She didn't seem to be bothered by it, and it doesn't get in the way or cut into skin like rings sometimes do.

Back