• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Early spay?

Glingle

Warren Veteran
My best mate adopted a girlie bun (Dusty) which she was told was about six months old so she took it to the vets to be spayed so she could bond it with another bun. She's just found out that actually the bun was only 3 months old when she got her, so the absolute most she could have been was 4 months when she was spayed. The vet obviously carried out the op without noticing any problems and Dusty has been fine since. Is it likely to cause any long term problems for Dusty?

Im sure my Fifi was less than 6 months when she was spayed.. i think i had her before then, already spayed and healed up and she was absolutely fine :D

Flopsy was 3 1/2 months when she was done. She was and is (7 months later) perfectly fine and naughty :lol:
She healed quick and was almost back to her normal self the day of the op

Thanks for those replies - I'll pass them on (along with a link to this forum) and tell her to start worrying about something else now! :lol:

She'll be fine, if the vet saw no problems with her pre-spay they wouldn't have done the operation. Does can be spayed as long as they're over 1kg in weight, the reason they leave it till 6 months is so everything is fully developed and the risks of GA are reduced.

Shouldn't be any need to worry :D

Back