• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rocking buns

madysmummy

Mama Doe
moses rocks from side to side slightly when he's just sitting (doesn't happpen often that he's still as he's on the go all the time but when he does he rocks side to side :?) its very strange and mady has never done anything like that - does anyone else's buns rock ?

is he a red eyed white?
red eyed rats do this 'scanning' because they can't perceive depth as well as other rats... so they sway (looks like dancing :lol:) so maybe that's it?

Animals (not just red-eyed, but it's more common in those that are as their eyesight is poorer) 'scan' to get a better view of the area so it may be that, but I'm sure I've read it can also be a sign of something else - perhaps do a forum search for 'scanning'?

is he a red eyed white?
red eyed rats do this 'scanning' because they can't perceive depth as well as other rats... so they sway (looks like dancing :lol:) so maybe that's it?

no he isn't, but when the light shines in his eyes they have a redish tone to them.

most animals have a red tone to their eyes - esp. in pics etc. their pupils do not react to the sudden change in light as quickly as ours do, ehnce the 'red-eye' (this is true of human babies and elderly) so that seems quite normal.

i didnt realise other animals scan ben's mum. learn something new eh?

maybe ask a vet in passing?

lol i meant ones that weren't red eyed...

i think it's cute when my red eyed rats do it, liek they're bopping along to their own little beat :)

It can also be a sign of neurological problems (eg from EC) so if it's something new (they haven't always done) or your worried get it checked :)

Not sure about others but rats generally don't depend on sight too much anyway as their vision isn't that great - http://www.ratbehavior.org/RatVision.htm shows what is believed to be what a 'normal' rat's sight and red eyed rat's sight - the red eyed is poorer but the normal one isn't that great either!

wow that's quite a difference. how are they such good jumpers if they can barely see what they're jumping to?! lol bless the,

It can also be a sign of neurological problems (eg from EC) so if it's something new (they haven't always done) or your worried get it checked :)

we're not worried about it - just thought it was kinda funny. don't think it has anything to do with his eyes, i think he likes swaying from side to side, shifting his body weight slightly. he's always done it and only does it when he's sitting down - which is hardly ever.

Back