• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does Anyone Vaccinate for VHD *Every Other Year*?

Nope - every year...wouldn't be able to board them otherwise!

Is there an emerging suggestion that biannually is ok for VHD? That'd be great if it's true because Santa hasn't been done this year due to her snuffles.

Well, I am aware of how many Vets feel that it is *possible* that vaccination is over-used in other Domestic Pets. I know that after the initial vaccine the others are sort of 'reminders' to the Bun's immune system. But I am not sure that it needs 'reminding' every year :?
*These are just my unqualified ponderings*

I have felt increasingly uncomfortable about all the Vaccines/wormers we are now advised to give our Buns. Myxo Vacc every 6 months, VHD Vacc every 12 months, Fenbendazole every 3 months........

And if you have a Bun who has a chronic disease then their Immune System will have quite some work to do :?
I will be talking with Christabel about Bi-annual VHD Vaccinations. It would be interesting to here the opinions of your Vets too

Janex :)

all mine are done every year, that reminds me must get David to do some more overtime as mine are all nearly due:lol::lol::lol:

If my 2 are still with me in April, I really can't see me giving them their VHD then. They were rough as anything last time they had it, and are exposed to ridiculous amounts of medicine daily!

Its the same with cats and dogs, in the US its biannual and triannual (is that a real word?!) for them.

I have my rabbits done annually but with the cats I don't give flu and ent annually - bi instead and the leukaemia I stopped doing annually a long time ago, a vet I worked with introduced me to a blood titre test instead (Glasgow Lab I think) and I got them tested and their titres were fine for years and only about £10 -£15 a test which is half the cost of the booster!
Obviously if you are looking to board your animals or they are insured you have to vaccinate annually.

Its just a case of waiting for research to be done and pharm companies, I think, are milking all they can out of us in the UK. The US has done bi and tri annual vaccs for years and its the same vaccine in some areas!!!!

Last edited:
It's hard, isn't it? I can't help but think back to how tough bunnies used to be years ago. The bunny I had as a kid never had any vaccinations, wasn't neutered and lived till he was about 10.

Plus my bunnies were fine (just fat) till I got them, had them spayed and vaccinated!! But, at the same time, these diseases are killers.

The trouble is that VHD is so very very virulent and spreads so easily that it can wipe out a huge number of rabbits before the vaccine can be given and have time to become effective. Given the evidence that a rabbits immune system does not stay immune to myxo one can not assume that it would do so for VHD. At least myxo does not spread as easily as an insect bite is the only vector. I am struggling to think how we can afford to vaccinate for myxo twice a year, but will not give up on doing the VHD annually. I simply can not risk it devastating the population here - we have 141 rabbits as of today! However I do not vaccinate old or ill rabbits against it as I feel the risk of it adversely affecting them is higher than the risk of us having an epidemic. Everyone has to work out what is best in their own situation.

In your situation Jane, with so many rabbits in such crowded conditions, I would absolutely not comtemplate bi-annual VHD vaccination except for immune compromised rabbits. I think you could definiatly live to regret such a decision.

Mine are vaccinated against VHD annually, ive got two VHD jabs next week actually so I am going to ask the vet and will let you know what they say :D

Also I havent been advised to worm my rabbits, when I asked last year my vet told me it was a fairly new thing and felt it was unneccesary to worm them on a regular basis. Is this right? :?

Its the same with cats and dogs, in the US its biannual and triannual (is that a real word?!) for them.

I have my rabbits done annually but with the cats I don't give flu and ent annually - bi instead and the leukamia I stopped doing annually a long time ago, a vet I worked with introduced me to a blood titre test instead (Glasgow Lab I think) and I got them tested and their titres were fine for years and only about £10 -£15 a test which is half the cost of the booster!
Obviously if you are looking to board your animals or they are insured you have to vaccinate annually

Im going to ask about this too, Smirnoff is vaccinated each year. Mine arent insured because I save for vet bills instead so I will ask about that test x

Well for a start I dont think the Myxo and VHD Vaccine can be compared. The Myxo vaccine is derived from the Shorpe Fibroma Virus, *not* the Myxo Virus. Whereas the VHD Vaccine is actually derived from the VHD Virus itself.

Leanne, I too have been reading lots of stuff from the states re the biannual/triannual vaccinations. It makes for very interesting reading. Although at times I wish I were a scientist!! :lol:

I will continue my 'research' but really would welcome the opinions of your Vets

Janex :)

Back