• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FAO anyone with a ferplast 140 indoor cage

bunny_scabbit

Warren Scout
i ordered this from the zooplus website recently and it arrived today, i am a bit disappointed though as i thought you could open the front panel for easy access, but this does not appear to be the case as there are little black wire holders for the corners which holds it all in place and when i tried to lift the front panel the whole wire frame came up. not very helpful.

can anyone who has this cage confirm whether you can open the front panel, and if so, how? what am i doing wrong???? :?

No I don't think you can (unless they have changed the design since I last had one).

There is a german version of this cage which is actually much better and DOES have a front section that lifts up (sorry to tell you now!) and come up on ebay - its cheaper than the english ones and comes within a few days.

I have this cage, and yes you can lift the front up. The front of mine is kept up from getting home from work until bedtime so Bella can hop in and out when she likes.

I haven't used the front left and right corner clips so I just lift up the front inwards and secure on the top (it does take a bit of getting used to as you have to lift in a certain way before pushing inwards or the whole thing lifts up). I admit when mine first arrived I was slightly disappointed as I couldn't understand why such a huge cage had such small openings on the top. No way could I easily lift Bella out, particularly if she was in the corner of the cage. As it is she's unpickupable anyway, so however big, I couldn't get her out that way. The previous, slightly smaller cage I have has a massive top opening, making it much easier to clean and get bunnies out. In fact if you couldn't open the front of the 140 it'd be a real problem trying to clean the corners out.

I'll post a picture when I get to work with the front open.

I also have this cage and as the same as Becca, I do not use the front left and right black clips which means I can easily open the whole of the front of the cage.

DSC00105.jpg

This is Bella's cage with the front lifted up:

Bellas-Cage---1.jpg

On this one you can see the clip thing I've used to secure it at the top (it's a rabbit rope toy):

Bellas-Cage.jpg

:D

sounds like you have the old design cage that wont open up at the front, the 140 is in its 3rd revision and you have either ver 1 or 2.

That could be why the zoo plus cages are so cheap as they are old stock.

I also have this cage and as the same as Becca, I do not use the front left and right black clips which means I can easily open the whole of the front of the cage.

DSC00105.jpg

Snap! :D Yours looks a lot neater than Bella's - she keeps moving things round in it and the hay starts nice and neatly in her litter tray and ends up all over the place! :lol:

Snap! :D Yours looks a lot neater than Bella's - she keeps moving things round in it and the hay starts nice and neatly in her litter tray and ends up all over the place! :lol:

:lol: It only stays that neat for about 10 minutes after I've cleaned them out.

thanks for your replies. i'm going to have to think about whether to keep this now or not. i'll have a play with it as you use yours, without the corner clips on the front. i am disappointed though cos P@H had a ferplast 100 and the front opening was brilliant, a proper flip up opening, and i thought this one was going to be similar. in fact the 100 i saw actually had the front split into 2 sections that you could have half open or both sections to have the whole front open. oh well. might end up putting it on ebay yet, so anyone interested keep an eye out!

just out of interest, anyone know how or where to get the revised 3rd version that was mentioned?

The newer version sounds good - no wonder mine was so cheap in comparison to other places. My local pet shop could have got me one, but it would have been £120 compared to the £59 (I think) I paid from Zooplus. They said it would cost them more to buy than me getting from Zooplus.

I'm very happy with it, but I did think it was strange that such a big cage had such an awkward way of opening it.

Would be interested to know how much the newer version is.

I have one too, also from Zooplus (about 10 months ago) I would imagine it's the same type as yours.

I open the frount whenever Bobbin is out and leave it like that. I have actually left the fount black clips on, it's a little fiddly, but it seems to work.

Back