• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vetbed

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
I am currently still using wood shavings and straw for my outdoor bunnies but have been pondering for a while now about switching to vetbed. For those of you who use it, could you answer the following queries?

1. Is it really non chewable?

2. In winter the bunnies tend to make nests out of straw, will vetbed give warmth and comfort like a nest?

3. Also straw is a natural source for bunnies, can vetbed make them feel stressed because its synthetic.

Thanks.

In answer to question 1 ... mine can destroy it!! Hoops took a vast dislike to it when I put it in her hutch and shreaded the edges of it! :lol:

Mine havent chewed it and ive been using it for ages now :D I have it in the hutches but I only put it in the open part, like here

DSC02882.jpg

And I fill up the bedroom parts with hay

DSC01376.jpg

So they still have hay to sleep and dig in, and they have their nice soft vetbed to sit on :D

I wouldnt give a bunny just vetbed in winter because they do need something to snuggle up into :D I give mine heatpads so they can still keep warm if they choose to sleep on the vetbed but they mostly make little tunnels in the hay to sleep in :lol:

Mine havent shown any signs of not liking vetbed x

Thank you, that clarifies things a bit more. Is the object of vetbed just hygeine?

Not really hygine just comfort, if its not dry on time I have stuck newspaper in there for a day or two but they do shred that :lol: Mine will pretty much always use their litter trays but I find vetbed can be a bit of a pain if they do pee on it. Scarlett occasionally does and if she did it all the time it would mean washing it every day. I only like it because its nice and soft for them to sit on :oops: :lol:

I switched to vet bed for the outdoor buns when we did 2 shed conversions last year. Did it for 2 reasons mainly. It's brilliant in that I've saved a fotune in wood shavings and I don't have to sweep up messy shavings which the bin men won't accept in the compost ( halved my weekly waste):D and the other reason is comfort. One of the buns is a bit of a chewer, but that does seem to have settled down and the vet bed has survived intact!:lol: I just wash it every week and it's great.:D

I use vet bed (well profleece) in part of my shed. It makes it easier to clean out and a bit cheaper than covering the whole area in hay! The back of the shed is stuffed with hay though! Barley hasn't chewed it in he 2-3 months I've been using it!

Hannah

I'm more convinced to buy some now but two of my doe are seriel shredders. I can just picture them turning vet bed into tiny particles. :lol:

I spent a fortune on it, but it got covered in wee, poo and hay which meant it wasn't suitable to go in the wash and had to be thrown away...:rolleyes:

It's fine as long as you give them a litter tray as well and a bedroom full of straw for outdoor buns. It is a pain when it gets covered in hay, but I find if you hoover it all off it's fine to go in the wash. My buns sometimes nibble and dig at theirs, but not very often. Nuggette pulls bits up and gives them to me at times, strange bunny. But they've probably only damaged a few milimetres round the edge so not much at all.

Back