• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lapizole, anyone used it?

Kenno

Warren Scout
I think that's how you spell it. Anyway I was talking to my vet about it and I'm just unsure whether to use it or not so I thought I would see if anyone on here used it and what your opinions were of it?
:wave:

Not used Lapizole myself, but it is exactly the same as Panacur Rabbit, which is more commonly used. I think the flavour of Lapizole is possibly more palatable to rabbits, but the dosage of the active ingredient is exactly the same. There are loads of threads on here about Panacur, so hope that helps. :)

I use it - and like it. The buns find it far more palatable - and some even just lick it all up from the saucer!!!

However the pump action means you have to be good at making sure you only 'pump' sideways into their mouth - and not run the risk of pumping it whilst they are breathing in.

I use it for 28 days the rabbits love it , i am told that its more thorough than Panacureni a referring to the risk of a parasite called E.Cuniculi. It is present in approximately 50% of domestic (not wild) rabbits. It is a small protozoan parasite that is typically spread from mum to babies or via urine- such as rabbits mixing on the same area of grass or run- eating grass that could have previously had urine on it from an infected rabbit.
The only way to effectively treat or prevent E.Cuniculi is a 28 day course of an oral aniseed flavoured liquid called Lapizole. It only needs to ever be done once unless your rabbit is due to mix with new rabbits at any stage again in the future- in which case it should be done each time.
A bottle of lapizole is around £14 from online supplyersvand has sufficient in it to treat a 3kg rabbit for the full course. Its easy to give- they love the taste.
I would use it as i don't like the end result of the parisite infection Symptoms may never appear but they can include head tilt, kidney failure, bladder infections, incontinence, weakness and paralysis. Treatment once they have symptoms often is too late.

Wow, thanks for the advice! :)

I think I'll treat both my buns when the weather gets better as they're outside buns.

How do you know if your bunnies carrying it already?

Hiya Lauren:wave:

You can have your bunnies tested for exposure to EC. Basically the vet would take a blood sample and send it off to the lab. The test would show whether your bunny has ever been exposed to EC. The test measures for EC titres which measures the level of antibodies to the infection. If your bunny hasn't ever been exposed to EC the result will be negative. However a positive result doesn't indicate an active infection it just means that at some point your rabbit has been exposed to EC. To establish whether your rabbit has an active infection you need to have several blood tests over a period of time which will show either an increasing titre-active infection, decreasing titre-fighting infection or stabilised titres which show that there is no active infection.

Some people routinely panacur their rabbits to reduce the risk of getting EC. A 9 day course of panacur every six months.

If a bunny has been tested as postive for EC they are prescribed a 6week course of panacur. I think the dosage is 0.2ml per kilo bodyweight.

I would only give your bunnies a full 6 week course if either of them tested positive for EC. For routinely panacuring bunnies a 9 day course is sufficient.

Thanks for your lovely email and the pics of Bea and Tomee :love::love::love:. Will reply in a tad.

Big hugs to you and the bunnies,

Nicola xxx

i found panacur easier becuase the lapisol has to be syringe with the pump and most of it went over me than the buns, especially as sooty had to have 5 pumps :shock: He was not impressed. The pancur gets made into a panacur and spring green sandwhich YUM YUM.

Vets for Pets in Millhouses Sheffield reccomends using this product and also several other rabbit vets are recomending it too,
I take the advice of the vets as they know better than i do !!!

Thanks for all the advice and especially you Nicola, lots of information there! ;)

It's something worth looking into I reckon, when it gets to summer and the weathers nicer I think I'll definately give them some kind of treatment and I'll talk to my vet about if it's worth having the blood tests etc.

Nicola - You're welcome, Tomee & Bea are snuggling in the run at this moment in time! It's very windy, so they're looking abit wind swept! :lol:

Back