• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Correct Marbocyl dose?

spider

Warren Scout
Hi,

Lily has been prescribed 1ml once daily of Marbocyl. From what I have read this is too low. I could only find one previous thread and it said 0.5mls per kg. She is 3.5kg so shouldn't it be 1.5 - 2mls for her weight?

I'm just concerned because I'm using a new vet and haven't had great experiences with some of the vets in my area. I will be speaking with my rabbit savvy vet tomorrow.

Thank you for reading,

Hi,

Lily has been prescribed 1ml once daily of Marbocyl. From what I have read this is too low. I could only find one previous thread and it said 0.5mls per kg. She is 3.5kg so shouldn't it be 1.5 - 2mls for her weight?

I'm just concerned because I'm using a new vet and haven't had great experiences with some of the vets in my area. I will be speaking with my rabbit savvy vet tomorrow.

Thank you for reading,

I have 2 bunnies at the moment and I am injecting Marbocyl

Harriet is 1.3 kg and she has 0.8ml
Mabel is 2.2kg and she has 1ml

Hope this helps

Thank you for your replies. The stuff I have is in liquid form and was made up at the vets when they gave it to me. From what I have read you either get it in tablet form or liquid to inject. So assume they've given me the injectable liquid.

Going by what Harriet and Mabel (I love the traditional names :D) are being given Lily is being under dosed.

Thank you :D

I would phone your vet back and check if you don't know whther its to inject or give orally? They may have made up an oral suspension for you so do give them a call if the instructions on the bottle aren't clear. You may have been given a different strength compared to the thread you read too. :D

Thank you for your replies. The stuff I have is in liquid form and was made up at the vets when they gave it to me. From what I have read you either get it in tablet form or liquid to inject. So assume they've given me the injectable liquid.

Going by what Harriet and Mabel (I love the traditional names :D) are being given Lily is being under dosed.

Thank you :D

Before you administer any medication I would check with the vet, are the instructions not on the bottle?, surely if they wanted you to inject they would have supplied syringes?, I would check first thing in the morning with the vet.

Sorry I can't be more help

It was definitely for oral administration. I just know from reading up that there is a tablet form and an injectable form. However, that doesn't mean the injectable form isn't ok to be given orally. Don't worry I won't increase the dose without speaking to the vet first. I wanted to make sure I had some information before I spoke to them. I know from experience that vets don't always get it right. I've had terrible experiences with getting my rats the right doses of medication and of course getting anything but Baytril prescibed. Most vets respond well when you have done background research :D

ETA: I've just re-read the post before that sounded like I was intending to inject Lily when I wasn't sure. Sorry it was so unclear :oops:

Back