• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People banned from getting animals - pondering

cashmincal

Wise Old Thumper
Minirex got me thinking how on earth are they prevented in getting more animals? They can easily pop to petshops to get more.

Something I've always wondered.

Ive always thought it would be so easy for someone who is banned from owning pets to just go get some more and nobody notice :? Surely there houses arent searched on a regular basis to check they havent got more

I think people banned from keeping animals do get checked up on as there was a case near me where a woman was banned but continued to get more dogs after all hers were taken away. She was caught fairly quickly and I think now in jail.

A ban can't stop you getting an animal, but you will get checked up on every few months probably to make sure by the rspca I think. If you've breached the ban it's big trouble.

A ban can't stop you getting an animal, but you will get checked up on every few months probably to make sure by the rspca I think. If you've breached the ban it's big trouble.

Yep, they would be checked on by the RSPCA at regular intervals :D

people banned from getting animals.

My sister (who lives in Norfolk)told me about a farmer who keeps cows near where she lives:shock:he was banned from keeping animals several times but he just used to get more and say they belonged to his brother:cry::evil:these cows were starved and left out in fields with no shelter or food:evil:
Have just read the animal welfare act rules and apparently you have to be 16 or over to be given an animal as a prize BUT i saw goldfish being given to children last year at an Essex show which i reported :evil:i was told that it was legal so who,s right:?:roll:

What you tend to find in these circumstances, is that there would be a lot of local publicity about the ban and the suffering that had occured. Neighbours, 'friends' and local people are very quick to grass up people that are banned if they see them with new animals.

I have helped rescue some rabbits from a person who had a previous 5 year ban from keeping animals. Not sure if it had expired or not :?

It obviously didn't make any difference either way.

but if they can't be stopped from BUYING (or getting in some other way) the animals in the first place... it almost defeats the point.

obviously if/when they ARE caught the animals are found new loving homes but the sensible thing to do would be to STOP SELLING ANIMALS IN PET SHOPS so that they didnt suffer in the first place! And of course this wouldnt stop him finding them by other means but if there was some sort of register for offenders that rescues/shops could check up on...

obviously it would be expensive to set up and I'm sure most peole wouldnt think it's worth it. it's just a shame that animals have to keep suffering at the hands of these people just because someone took too long to check up on them etc

My sister (the :censored:) was banned from keeping animals 11 years ago.

She starved a dog almost to death. :evil: I reported her (we no longer have contact)

She moved a few miles up the road, changed her name and started collecting them again.

When they were removed from her this time she had 50 in total, 22 of them cats, several rabbits and a dog that was locked in the bathroom. The rabbits were kept in the cellar in the dark so no one could see them. The cats never left the flat. No one had fresh air or grass

She wanted to foster for the charity that i foster for. She was refused so she decided to set up her own rescue, or "Prison" as it was.

The RSPCA just told her off, she was totally not bothered and is thinking of getting a puppy once she has moved again.

Back