• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice and help please? U/D molar spurs

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
i dont know if im just being silly or what but ive just had Crystal out and while i was giving her abit of a groom i could feel her spine quite bad i know this is a sign of being underweight but she eats like a pig she actually lives for food! i cant feel her ribs or any of her other bones just her spine i ran my hand down Mistys and couldnt feel his (im really doing a bad job at wordin this :oops:) i could also feel the bone at the bottom of her spine the one near her bum if that makes sense.

Crystal is Speyed, wormed, vaccinated and i know she eats loads could the fact that she spent 2 years of her life in a hutch that wasnt high enough be the cause of this? shes just about 3 years old now and is looking like an old lady :oops:

thanks for any advice will get her checked over by a vet as well just in case just wanted to knwo if anyone knows or experienced this with their own rabbits :? if im honest im quite worried :oops:

xx

Last edited:
have an appountmentat the vets at 4:40 the vet nurse said that its possible shes not getting all the nutrients and stuff she needs :oops: is that possible?

her poos are always dark because she hasnt been much of a hay eater :? she had snuffles when she was one but it cleared up after a few months :? i have also recently noticed an increase in her water intake.

Aww hun, Im sure she is getting everything she needs. I'd tell the nurse to keep her nose out, bit of an assumption considering she hasnt even seen the vet yet! Jen looked like a right tubby little girl, but she was skin & bone...like Crystal she was wormed, vacc'd, speyed etc, but she too lived in a minute space for the beginning of her life. So guess it could be connected? We never got to the bottom of the problem so I have no advice :oops: but just thought I'd share that with you! Let us know how you go on at the vets XX

thanks Becki, im going to get the vet to do a blood test for E.C just in case i dont know why but that seems to be ringing in my head better to be safe then sorry i suppose.

xx

her poos are always dark because she hasnt been much of a hay eater :? she had snuffles when she was one but it cleared up after a few months :? i have also recently noticed an increase in her water intake.

I would not be at all surprised if she has molar spurs. Certainly her teeth are the first things for you to ask the Vet to check. Buns with a sore mouth may keep eating but wont absorb the nutrients too well. They may also drink a lot more than normal.
When was she Panacured ?

Janex

thanks Becki, im going to get the vet to do a blood test for E.C just in case i dont know why but that seems to be ringing in my head better to be safe then sorry i suppose.

xx

I think they have to do a couple (poss 3?) seperate tests for active ec hun. Good luck XX

quick reply because ive got to go to work lol

Crystal needs a dental her back molars have spurs so shes going to get them done tomorrow.

xx

well Crystals now home from her dental, are rabbit dentals normally pricey? :? im sure the vet said she only needed 2 molars done and they've charged me £66 :shock: shes worth every penny though :love: anyway shes been back the matter of 10 minutes and already eating like a pig lol bless her :love:

well Crystals now home from her dental, are rabbit dentals normally pricey? :? im sure the vet said she only needed 2 molars done and they've charged me £66 :shock: shes worth every penny though :love: anyway shes been back the matter of 10 minutes and already eating like a pig lol bless her :love:

Assuming she had a GA then 'Yes' £66 is a reasonable price.
Glad she is now home :D

Janex

Back