• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question for people with house rabbits - UPDATE

SarahM

Warren Scout
Can anyone recommend a type of stairgate to stop them getting up stairs? Needs to be thin bars as would worry that they may get stuck.

They currently have free run of the house, but would like them to stop getting up stairs, so that we don't get scratching at the door during the night!! :lol::lol:

Last edited:
what types of bun are they??? i know people with just normal baby/dog gates but they have big buns that couldnt get throught the bars! we use pets a home pen panels to stop the buns going places

One is a new zealand white, and the other is a dutch, what we might have to do is attach a piece of mesh. I know they probably wouldn't be able to get through, but I'd worry about them all the time

I have put cardboard along the bottom of our stair gate, but you could so it with a offcut of plastic mesh or similar.

I shut my buns in their room at night - they have a bedroom which is hay covered etc., in case they wander and I kick them going to the loo. Other than that we use cardboard to protect computer wires. Known in our house as Fort Bunsworth. :lol:

we use a normal stair gate (argos or mother care I think) which was fine for 2 dwarf lops once they got to adult size (about 2kg +). My rosie nethie shoots straight through so we have attached a very narrow wire mesh to it (any bigger and they start trying to chew and pull it which isn't really good for their teeth :roll:)

I have a fire guard, taken it to pieces and unnecessary clips off. The sort that keeps children away from fires and hearths, not the sort to protect from sparks flying.

We've just put a big painting in the way. It looks good, but there are some nibbles in the frame on the back!

Ivbe got a giant cross NZ white and the only gates thats worked is the Lindham. She has squeezed through the others at various stages of her becoming an adult.

Well I went to argos last night and brought a Lidham stairgate. Got it home, fitted it and got evil looks from the rabbits, they were not impressed with me.

I got mine from Toys R Us, my buns are really small and they can't get through it :D
DSC00042-1.jpg

Back