• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OMG- Damning Council Report on Sheffield P@H.

Wow, that's shocking - hopefully their license won't get renewed! Won't be off there anytime soon...

This doesnt surprise me to be honest, Its about time something like this came out in the news! Poor animals, humans really dont care. :cry:

I expect they will get their license..a big chain like PAH will have ways to make changes quickly to influence the decision..
At least it mean the conditions will have to improve

Ditto Jill

A pet shop in Nottingham was featured on 'Britains Worst Petshops' TV programme, but he continued to trade for quite a while after it was on TV, despite keeping wild animals without a licence and being reported to the RSPCA numerous times for the poor living conditions of the animals :(

Sadly this doesn't surprise me at all and in my opinion is one very good reason for not buying anything at any Pets at Home store.

I don't think it matters that this is only two branches out of many who may be doing a reasonable job; as shoppers we should vote with our feet and hit P@H where it hurts - in their revenue. They must be made to stop selling animals.

Drakehouse is my local p@h - I hate the place so never go in any more :( I do hope they are banned from selling animals, especially with Easter looming :?

This is good news in alot of ways (not for the animals involved) but for the fact that Pet Shop animals are being looked at properly and licenses not renewed if necessary. Would they still be able to trade, but just not sell animals?

Bella came from one of these P&Hs :(

I've never actually been to a P&H. Let's hope something good comes out of all this.

I bought my little Zorro from P@H, now if feel more like I've rescued him from them!! :(
I won't buy my food from there, I'll go to a local pet shop or farmers market.

I agree with Jill, they will just ship someone in to bring the store up to scratch and that will be that. The positive thing here is that the story is out in the public domain and it may make people wake up a little to whats going on.

Im just pleased the council have recognised what is going on. You start to wonder if what they are doing is actually a breach of their license when it has gone on for so long.

These stores have particularly bad problems with hamsters and wet tail.

The council should make a decision today so I will keep you updated.

Hopefully they will actually go through with it and not renew either licence, Drake House is our nearest store, only been in a couple of times and never again, Heeley was our old local store and wouldn't touch that either.

Fingers crossed

This is the one I was on about the other week Sooz, where they were keeping the pigs in with the buns and the water bottles were all empty and they had no food in the pens and one food bowl was actually full of rabbit poop and pee:cry:

It would be good to know what the Committee decided to do as what Officers' recommend does not always happen.

Edit: We should all go onto the Sheffield City Council (I think that's the one) website and put in an enquiry about this. Then if they are just going to rubberstamp it, they might think again!

Update

Just been on the Sheffield Star Website and found this

TWO Sheffield pet shops accused of displaying dead fish have come to an agreement with the council that will allow them to continue trading.
Pets at Home stores in Heeley Retail Park, Chesterfield Road, and Drakehouse Retail Park, Drakehouse Way, were criticised in a report compiled by an Animal Control and Enforcement Officer who inspected both premises.

Criticisms included dead fish being left on display in tanks, ill-looking fish not being isolated and a lack of food for some pets.
The author of the report recommended that both shops should not have their Pet Shop License applications renewed.

But after discussions with Animal Health Wardens from Sheffield Council, the company has now reached a solution to their problems which both sides are happy with.

Mark Parry, assistant environmental protection manager form Sheffield Council said: "We've been working with Pets at Home, having discussions with them on the issues and how they can be resolved.

"We've identified that there have been problems with management systems at the store, but we are now reassured that those problems will be resolved."

The license applications were due to be discussed by the council's Licensing Board yesterday but the agreement was reached beforehand.

I always thought these branches were particularly dodgy. Their adoption centres were appauling compared to some other branches (not that any of them are good really). Everything seems so cramped in a tiny space.

Back