• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Effects of different hay on bunny tummies

louandjoe

Alpha Buck
We've recently tried a bale of hay from the local farmshop and all the buns love it and dive it, it's nice, green and sweet smelling but it is very soft. Since we've limited pellets, all buns eat loads of hay but since we tried this hay as opposed to Dust Free Hay, Bella seems to have a few sloppy poos, not formed properly and a bit squishy.

She had 3 days of Fibreplex last week which helped a bit and they've all been having probiotic in their water and A&P pellets. We've tried taking away pellets/veg etc but that didn't seem to make a difference - we gave them timothy herb hay at the weekend and they all did a huge amount of healthy, golden poos. They're back on the other hay today and there is a squishy poo or 2 in there so I'm assuming it must be different hay that's causing it?

I've never heard of hay causing squishy poos/messy bums but I'm taking from this that the bale of hay isn't that great or it's upsetting her tum somehow?!

We gave bunnie one of the Hay experts sample bags can't remember what one it was but it smelt really sweet, the next day she had really bad evil bum! She didn't have anymore of it and it's not happened since!

Her usual hay is the oxbow Timothy Hay !

I'm ordering more Dust Free Hay on friday and will just use the bale for bedding me thinks.

Poo watch is no fun when they're squishy :shock::lol:

Only thing is they are likely to still eat a bit of the bedding hay!

Bunnie gets evil bum when she has too much sugar like fruit so she only allowed a tiny piece of either apple or banana once a week!

too many pellets gives her bad bum too!:roll:

My Charlie bun has always have a very sensitive bum, he only eats timothy hay and if I end up with a bag of the second cut timothy hay (I think I have this the right way round - this is the one that soft and very green) he often gets a sticky bum, so I try to only buy the first cut timothy hay (the one is much more stalky with seed heads in) - this is better for their teeth too and thankfully my two seem to prefer it cos they like the seed heads.

When I've ended up with the softer second cut timothy I've mixed it with some bog standard meadow hay and thats normally sorted his bum out.

Back