• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Microchipping,who has had their bunny done?

jackiestone

Warren Veteran
Am considering having Beatrix my Houdini Escapee bunny done who jumps out of my arms, and when i first got her she flew out of my arms and ran off.Hubby found her on next doors driveway.so i wondered who has had their bunnies microchipped??

We are asking about it next time we visit the vets (3 weeks for their vacs)
Because I would feel better if I knew, if they got out, they could fid teir way back ! x

I have microchipped three of mine - the ones that are confident houserabbits and hang around the hall and doors.

Also it now means we can get one of those posh catflaps that only lets in animals with a chip that agrees with the catfalps computer - so no more of next doors cat coming in and eating everything!!!

Can someone please explain how microchipping works?

So the rabbit will still run away but if it gets handed over to animal authorities they can track you down. Is that it? (which would be useless if someone didn't hand in your bunny or if it got trapped somewhere or lost)

Or is there some kind of GPS on it so that you can find the rabbit if it goes missing? (which would be helpful if someone stole your rabbit or if no one handed her in)

Would it hurt them?

No more than being vaccinated; Lucifer & Nyx didn't look bothered at all!

Can someone please explain how microchipping works?

So the rabbit will still run away but if it gets handed over to animal authorities they can track you down. Is that it? (which would be useless if someone didn't hand in your bunny or if it got trapped somewhere or lost)

Or is there some kind of GPS on it so that you can find the rabbit if it goes missing? (which would be helpful if someone stole your rabbit or if no one handed her in)

The chip is registered to you. If the chip is scanned it produces a unique number which is registered to you & your details can be looked up on a "register".

If you go for a premium service Petlog (the company that oversees it) will help you produce a poster to notify people & other things.

One of mine is done and my girl will be done on Monday when she gets her myxi. I think it is worth it peace of mind if nothing else.

:oops:my first bun was microchipped as when i went on holiday leaving him with my dad he lept through the hedge in our old house and was picked up 2 days later a couple of miles away by the police, was on the front of the local paper...not what i expected to see on returning home!!:oops:

Back