• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

feeding toast?

I don't think burnt toast. But I think you can feed them dry hard brown bread as a very occasional treat.

The only time I have given mine toast is when i'm trying to get them to have some medicine. I put the medicine on the toast because they really love it but it's not really a suitable food for rabbits. A tiny piece can be given a rare treat providing your bunny is not overweight. I think wholemeal toast is ok but not burnt. For administering medicine I would give mine a piece about 2cm square.

We very occasionally give ours a piece of toast that has been toasted then cooked in the oven so it goes totally crispy, wait for it to go cold then give them a little bit. :D

Burnt and smoked and food is now considered carcinogenic to humans, and i don't know if it is to buns, but I wouldn't risk it :)

Thanks everyone - am desperately trying to fatten the buns up so will toast some and then pop it in the oven as suggested as an occational treat.

Where did i get the burnt thing from??:shock::roll: Must have been told to really cook it well and heard it as burnt - my brain doesnt always work too well and it was a long time ago!!!:roll:

My dad used to give it to his rabbits soaked in tea! (it was after the war!):lol:

I usually give mine toast or bread as a treat, usually if they're not eating just to make sure it's nothing serious (all mine loved the wholegrain bread I eat)

I think a few whole oats are good for fattening, but maybe someone else could confirm that? and they are unprocessed, and natural.
I give Bertie a few on his food once a week as a big treat and he loves them :)

oats need to be soaked before feeding so they don't swell in the stomach :)

on a really cold day they will get a small square of whole meal toast, but that's if it is really cold :) I don't feed it to them hot but slightly warm :)

Back