• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding buns...help

bun_bun

New Kit
I have had my boy rabbit for 2 years, so in that time he has never come across another bun. He is neutered.
After checking rescues out, I rescued a lovely, but only just 6 month old girl (who hasn't obviously been spayed yet as she's only just old enough, I will get her done next month hopefully)

I was hoping to bond the buns together but - it sounds stupid - I am very worried about doing so.
They are in a divided run at the moment, and Blue (the boy) keeps racing up and down the divider and 'groaning' then stamping his feet. Is this aggressive? She sometimes ignores him, but sometimes stamps her feet too. I worry if they got together, they'd attack, but I'm not sure if Blue is just over excited to see another rabbit (esp. a female one ;):lol:)

My questions are, does anyone have any good tips on bonding these two, maybe things I wouldn't have read about? Is it worth trying to bond them before the female is spayed? As they would then have at least a weeks break from each other for her to heal.

100% get her speyed first. It gives you the best chance of success, especially at this time of year when bunny hormones are raging (which is explains her behaviour).

He has been neutered 4 weeks now. The vet said his baby making equitment should have ceased working by now.

any extra help would be really appreciated...please....thank you :)
Is 4 weeks enough time for the neutered bun? Once she's spayed should they be ok together?

By the time you get her spayed he should, I repeat the should, have calmed down. Once she is recovered from her spay you could see if someone would bond them for you, if you're worried. The main thing is the neutral space - small enough for them to keep close to one another, but with enough room for them to have time out space. And for you to be able to get hold of them. I used nice thick oven gloves and a water spray when I bonded my two.

Good luck

Back