• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jabs, Wormer, etc

Madmoo

Alpha Buck
As im new to bunny keeping - i was just wondering what I should be doing in respect of the above. Am I right in thinking that myxi jab is twice a year and VHD is done once as Im due to take both bunnies in next couple of weeks?

What about wormer, flea treatment? What do I use and how often? Is it cheaper to get it myself as opposed to having it from vets?

Is there anything else I need to think of?

Hello :wave:
Wormer was £8 from my vets I get mine from the vets. They get a check up at the same time and its 4 times a year (though my vet told me that with regard to mine being total housebuns at the mo only 2 times a year!!)

Flea treatment I think the shampoos are quite good, small animal ones is what I use and no probs but again they dont come into contact with much!!

Only other thing you need to worry about is finding a vet with lots of bunny knowledge!! Also price of spay/castration as it lengthens their life... Anything else someone more knowledgeable will help you with!! Good Luck!!!:)

I've found panacur wormer to be cheaper online. :) I think myxi is recommended either 6 monthly or yearly depending on what the outbreak level is like in your area. I think your vet can advise on that.

I don't use flea treatments on my rabbits really and if your rabbits get fleas, I wouldn't advise shampoo (I did it once, it was very stressful, more for me then the bunnies though), I'd either use a spot-on type treatment(suitable for rabbits) or go to the vet.

My tip is to try and get your bunnies to eat as much hay as you can, it just keeps stuff ticking along.

Back