• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello again (so so worried :-( )

Lil'Miss

Young Bun
Hello again :wave:
Just wanted to give a little update on Jack. Things are not good I'm afraid :(
He's finished his course of panacur, and has since lost quite a bit of weight, to the point where he's feeling quite boney :(

He's been back to the vets, who advised bio-lapis in his water, and pineapple juice syringed into his mouth twice a day.
He was also on critical care for a couple of days when he completely stopped eating. :(

Now he has started eating, but only little nibbles here and there. He is just so so thin, I am very concerned.
I've also noticed his poops have gone funny again since last night through to today, becoming softer with some very slight mucus-like stuff attacted on occasion.
We've been to the vets countless times, but he still seems to be a very poorly little boy :( :( :(

Fi x

Last edited:
What was the vets reasoning for the pineapple juice :?
Is he on antibiotics?
Has a full blood profile been done?

Poor Jack

He had bloat a while back didn't he ?
Has a poo sample been tested ?

What is he eating at the moment?

Janex

What was the vets reasoning for the pineapple juice :?
Is he on antibiotics?
Has a full blood profile been done?

Something to do with helping his tummy. He isn't on any medication at the moment, other than bio-lapis. He's been on a course of panacur, and had injections to release the gas in his stomach.
Other than that, the vet has given him an examination and that's it! Very worried :(

Whats his fluid intake and urination like?
Have his teeth been checked thoroughly?

I would personally stop the pineapple juice, its going to be feeding the negative gut bacteria and could be responsible for his mucousy stools directly or indirectly.

Mucous indicates inflamation of the GI tract.

Poor Jack

He had bloat a while back didn't he ?
Has a poo sample been tested ?

What is he eating at the moment?

Janex

He did have bloat yes. I was hoping he was recovering from this as his poops seemed to be improving. Sadly, not though :(

His poo hasn't been tested, even though I took in a sample originally.
He's eating burgess excell, oat & timothy hay.
At the moment, he's simply having a nibble, and that's it. Weight has just dropped off him, and with him being only a baby, this is very worrying :( :? :(

I think you need a feaces sample tested and a blood profile run. I suspect Jack may have a digestive condition such as mucoid enteritis, which also ties in with his age :?

Whats his fluid intake and urination like?
Have his teeth been checked thoroughly?

I would personally stop the pineapple juice, its going to be feeding the negative gut bacteria and could be responsible for his mucousy stools directly or indirectly.

Mucous indicates inflamation of the GI tract.

Water intake seems to be the only good thing at the moment. He's drinking and weeing as normal.

I will take ur advice regards the pineapple juice. Thank you x

I think I know why your vet 'prescribed it' but I fear he was misguided by its supposed 'properties'.

I've just done a google search on mucoid enteritis, and it's constantly saying that this disease has a high mortality rate:shock::(:cry: Am I going to lose Jack?:cry:

My bunny Maa became a bag of bones with mucus in her poo, and it was caused by an empty stomach (I had cut her pellets right back hoping she'd eat more hay, but she's a stubborn madam) - I filled her tummy with more pellets and she got better. Which isn't to say such a simple thing is what's wrong with Jack, but having an empty tum means nothing's moving along, and bad bacteria have the perfect, fermenting environment to multiply in. What my reasoning was if Maa ate more high fibre food that would be better than nothing, as it would whisk away the bad bacteria and spoil their comfortable home. Mine eat science selective, which is high fibre, but excel is OK I guess, although has been linked to stomach problems in many rabbits in my 3yrs on forum. As it's all you have, I think you need to mush it up with some boiling water from the kettle, cut off the end of a syringe, and squeeze little bits into his mouth every hour - you need to fill his tum and get things moving in there again. Make sure the syringe is sideways into his mouth, just behind his front teeth in that gap, and that he swallows, or you might choke him. If you can buy some science selective online or at a vets or garden centre, you might find he fancies the taste more than excel, but just give him one or 2 pellets to start off with, as he's not used to eating it.

Back