• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

scared of getting bitten

Zorro

Warren Scout
this is zorros mammy (not zorros daddy who has been posting the other questions)

i really want to hold zorro and pet him but im scared that if i pick him up he will be terrified (he is 8weeks old and my 1st bunny)

im also scared he will bite me

i have been stroking him in his cage and he has eaten a few treats from my fingers (and been gentle, good boy)

do you think i just need to take the bill by the horns and give him a cuddle?
any tips on how to 1st handle a little bunny?

zorros mammy

Lots of rabbits wont like being picked up and may kick out. At his age i think he is unlikely to bite and it'll be good to get used to holding him for health checks etc whilst he is little and relatively harmless. :lol:

They key is confidence. I think you are right, best to take the bull by the horns. My boyfriend was scared of rabbits when I got my first bun, and was shaking like a leaf when he first held him. Now he can pick up even our wriggly buns.

Good luck.

If you are really scared of being bitten wear some thick gloves.

edit: Tips: try sitting on the floor and placing him in your lap at first, then if you let go you are not dropping him. He should be small enough for you to be able to cup in your hands. One hand under his bum, place his front on you and put one hand over his shoulder and head area to keep him still. That's how I hold all mine.

Last edited:
well they don't usually bite, or mind being picked up and cuddled at that age I believe - but even so it's normal for an adult bun to hate being picked up, so maybe best get used to sitting on the floor and let him come and hop onto you? If you need to carry him somewhere how about getting him to hop into a cat carrier? If he's trained young then it will be easier when he's big :) Main thing is to hold him close, up against your body so he can't twist and hurt his back, or kick you - you're more likely to get hurt from a kick than a bite really.

Tip for when you put the bun back down, back legs to ground first. That way you don't get scratched when he tries to scarper away.

If your scared of picking him up then you really need to be calm and make sure you are confident before doing so. He will pick up on the fact that you are scared and that will make him nervous. I found its best to just sit on the floor with him hopping around you and let him come to you and sit on your lap. Then cup his shoulders in one hand and back/bum in the other so you are supporting him all the time. If your sitting down when you first pick him up there isn't such a long way down and you will both be happier.

Let us know how you get on and of course we demand photos lol.

x

Tip for when you put the bun back down, back legs to ground first.

Yep and put them back into their cage/hutch backwards. If they can see their home they usually try and jump into it and can injure themselves or you.

Back