• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you make cooked foods for your Buns?

Bullet

New Kit
Bullet is very spoiled, sometimes I think too spoiled lol.

I boil him brown rice, corn, carrots, broccoli, peas and tomatoes.

I only give him very little but he LOVES his food cooked,

Tho I always give him raw food every single day & cooked like once a week.

So do your bunnies get cooked foods too?

Nope. Apart from a biscuit mix from bunnybasics that they had for their birthday. I've never tried them with cooked food.

No I wouldn't give mine cooked food because they are rabbits not humans! :lol:

I would avoid feeding corn because its very difficult to digest and could cause a fatal blockage. Rice shouldn't be fed to rabbits either. Just becuase they like something doesn't mean they should have it. Green leafy veg and herbs are good for most rabbits and this is what i give mine along with hay and a few pellets.

Mine have porridge for breakfast each day :lol::D:lol::shock::lol:

But they are my 2 skinny rescue buns who need fattening up!

Hubby is quite bemused by it all...... he doesnt even get toast:shock::lol:

Hmmm there is this stuff you can get from pet shops though, micro wvaeable popcorn?? Is that safe?? Not tried it yet... :?

Mine don't get anything that isn't pure fruit or veg or their pellets/hay. So they only get dried banana as a treat which is 100% banana plus dried herbs and stuff, they'll get fresh herbs in the summer when i can grow them!

Boiling veg gets rid of almost all the nutrients so a bit pointless feeding it really. As other have said they are buns not humans so shouldn't have human food :)

No I wouldn't give mine cooked food because they are rabbits not humans! :lol:

I would avoid feeding corn because its very difficult to digest and could cause a fatal blockage. Rice shouldn't be fed to rabbits either. Just becuase they like something doesn't mean they should have it. Green leafy veg and herbs are good for most rabbits and this is what i give mine along with hay and a few pellets.
Don't worry it was not allot of corn or rice. =]

I know the food looses nutrients when boiled thats why I'll only give it to him once a week but raw food every single day, Bullet is very healthy and fit because he's aloud to run loose all day, I hate it when rabbits are left in cages all the time, they are free in the wild & should be free in the house or let out allot every single day. Bullet is not aloud to eat pellets anymore, only hay, veggies & fruits with an odd bunny treat diet.

Even if boiled food does not have much nutrients Bullet loves the taste.

The nutrients is all added up with his other veggies & fruits.

Mine have porridge for breakfast each day
Awww, I'm sure they will chubby up soon enough lol.

Last edited:
I would definately only give mine raw veggies and fruit. Altho I am planning to have a go at baking my own rabbit cookies for them at some point using the recipe they use at pampered piggies. :)

do you make cooked food for your rabbits

I used to make TOAST for my bunnies:)until i set the toaster on fire:shock:which nearly burned down the kitchen:shock::cry:
They only get raw food now:lol:

I once made Barney rabbit cookies, using a recipe from a rabbit group I had joined on MySpace. I hate banana, and they were made of mashed up banana (ew!), some oats and crushed up pellets. The end result was not pretty, and they both looked and smelt unappetizing to me... But Barney seemed to enjoy them. I'm not sure I'd make them again, both because firstly, it was pretty gross, and because the amount of banana involved (I think it was a full one) seems like a lot.

if it's a really, really, really cold day they get a small square of wholemeal toast (not with nuts or seeds) :D but they only get it rarely and the toast is cooled down first. They go mad for a bit of toast lol

I'd never give my bunnies cooked veg simply because of the los of nutrients and the fact it goes softer so doesn't have the same advantage that raw veg does of helping to wear down their teeth.

The only cooked food I give is if they're ill then they get pellets, oats and banana mashed with some water and popped in the microwave for a bit then left to cool. End ups a bit like porridge but for bunnies.

Back