• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for Playhouse

Pipstrel

Mama Doe
Just wondered if those of you with playhouses or sheds could help me with ideas!

I am going to build a 4ft wide x 3ft deep playhouse as I can't find one to buy that is the correct size to fit in the garden :roll:

I want to add a shelf or shelves in but can't decide the best way to do it. Its going to be 3ft high and then the apex roof on top with the point at 4ft.

Is 18inches enough height for each level?

Would you put one shelf in half way up with a ramp?
A shelf at the back half way up that comes halfway towards the front so would be 4ft wide by 18 inches deep?
Would you put one shelf either a corner or across from one side to the other at about 12 inches then another one at right angles to that one maybe 6 inches higher so that they have 3 diff levels to jump up?

Piper will jump any height she can but it takes Minstrel a long time to build up the courage to jump and even then he'd rather stay on the floor!

Also if I have a ramp should I carpet it to give them grip or put treads on it? The one in their hutch at the mo has treads but they still seem to slip down it rather than walk.

Sorry for the long post any ideas are much appreciated, want to make them the best home I can do!

Helen x

Helen I'd measure the length of the buns, ours are 2.5ft high and when Piper stands on his hind legs in it his nose isn't far off the roof, so they might not be able to stretch out upwards in an 18 inch:)

I measured the indoor cage they used to have which is 18inches high, they can put their paws on the top opening if they really stretch but if they didn't put their paws up they'd fall over if you understand what I mean?!

If they have 24 hour access to the run which is 2ft high I think so they need to be able to stretch up in the hutch too?

I could put a half shelf in with a ramp so that one half is full height so 3 ft?

Helen x

Would you put one shelf either a corner or across from one side to the other at about 12 inches then another one at right angles to that one maybe 6 inches higher so that they have 3 diff levels to jump up?

Helen x

This arrangement gets my vote - it will give them a bit more variety.
Just make sure there is somewhere safe for them to land if they jump from top to bottom in one go. (Trooper's favourite pastime :roll:).
As long as they can jump from one to another I don't think a ramp is necessary.

Mike

Cool thanks, no doubt i'll keep thinking about it for the next two months until i've saved up for the materials. There are just so many options and I can't choose :roll:

Cool thanks, no doubt i'll keep thinking about it for the next two months ......

So you're not starting this afternoon? :lol: I think you'll have a better idea once you've built the playhouse where you want the shelves. I find it much easier to visualise with the real thing in front of you. I'm hopeless at planning on paper.

Mike

I've drawn it all out on paper but I want to cost it all up to see if its actually that expensive to get someone to build it for me or if I should build it myself. I'm impatient so I'd like to start this afternoon but no it'll probably be end of march when hopefully it'll be warm enough to make it outside!

Back