• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Charlie Marked' ?-U/D Another Question for WalnutEarth on Page 2!!

I Think Its A Butterfly Marked Rabbit Which Has Too Much 'white' And Not Enough Coloured Markings.

Its like English markings, ie spots on the sides, stripe down the back and typically a 'Charlie Chaplin' moustache (hence the name ;))

You get them when you mate a butterfly to a butterfly - doubling up ont he butterfly gene just means the markings go to pot! :lol:

When i post up some piccies in my thread later I'll post up piccies of a Charlie German lop I hand reared from 3 weeks old so you can see. :D

Oh thanks. I was reading something about breeding.........:shock:.... ( thats got a few tongues wagging ) and the term was mentioned and I had never heard of it before

Janex

Think my recent rescue Lola is one of these. Guess they're rejects of the breeding process :( but I think she's gorgeous!

DSCF2442.jpg

The Charlie markings are a stripe down the back, a few spots on each side (instead of having lots) and a mustache instead of the whole coloured nose area (yes, hence the term "Charlie" after Mr Chaplin) Think they also usually still have a spot on each cheek, coloured ears and markings round the eyes.

Yes shes a Charlie, but they're not rejects!! Thats a bit harsh. Charlies are actually very useful in a breeding program, if you mate them back to a solid rabbit you get a full litter of butterflies and the legend is that they'll be perfectly marked but I think thats more wishful thinking! :lol: Also as Charlies are so pretty they are easy to find pet homes for, more so than their agouti or black counterparts :(

Yes shes a Charlie, but they're not rejects!! Thats a bit harsh. Charlies are actually very useful in a breeding program, if you mate them back to a solid rabbit you get a full litter of butterflies and the legend is that they'll be perfectly marked but I think thats more wishful thinking! :lol: Also as Charlies are so pretty they are easy to find pet homes for, more so than their agouti or black counterparts :(

I adore Agoutis and Blacks. I cant understand why some people think they are a 'boring' colour. Mind you, I'd adore a Rabbit even if he/she was fluorescent green with purple points!! :lol::lol:

Janex :wave:

lol thanks to this thread i now know what my Flopsy was :lol: he had a brown stipe down his back with a few surrounding brown spots :love: but do you only get them from 2 butterfly marked parents? because flopsy's dad was a butterfly but his mum Crystal isnt :? but maybe one of her parents were? :? breeding is so confusing well to me anyway lol

lol thanks to this thread i now know what my Flopsy was :lol: he had a brown stipe down his back with a few surrounding brown spots :love: but do you only get them from 2 butterfly marked parents? because flopsy's dad was a butterfly but his mum Crystal isnt :? but maybe one of her parents were? :? breeding is so confusing well to me anyway lol

You can get them out of Butterfly x solid matings yes - it just means although the rabbit looks like a charlie it is genetically just a badly marked butterfly. So if you were to mate one of them to a solid you wouldn't get a full butterfly litter. (Not that that matters to any of you but i thought you might be interested :lol:)

ah thats interesting, not like im planning on breeding but its great learning something new :) i never really did understand genetics and colors and stuff lol

This has been a very interesting thread. Great to be able to learn genetic stuff from a learned breeder.

Walnut how would Michael's marking be descibed ?

Picture696.jpg

And my Jack was a Castor Rex, yes ?
Picture531.jpg

And Zac a Cinnamon ?
Picture1614.jpg

Janex

Last edited:
Back