• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to 'house train' - where do i begin??!!!!

lucy pepsi

Warren Scout
Sorry - this is about the millionth question have asked - best way to learn though eh??!!:D

Dexter has won a huge place in my heart and i have decided to keep him as a house bunny - so...... as someone who has only ever kept bunny babes outdoors, where the hell do i start??!!!!! He has a cat litter tray in his pen filled with hay which he wees in but he pretty much poops where he likes -how do i do it??!!!!

He cant be de-plummed for as long as it takes for him to get weight on etc.

We have dogs so he will have to be an upstairs bun on carpet - is it do-able? xxx

its very do-able hun, pearl was an outside bun at the rescue and shes adapted really really well to being a house bunny.... she dosent even react to the tv now :D

you have to be prepared for destruction and hay everywhere tho... no wires within biting distance, plants that are dangerous moved out of harms way and enjoy :D:D:D

I had lots of poops to start with, but they gradually chose a preferred corner and I stuck a tray in it. They were brilliant and for the most part Maddie and Flynn still are. Eddie has recently arrived and upset the territory so I do have a few 'defiant' poos in protest:lol::roll:, but given time, I'm hoping this will settle back down. I don't get wee's on the carpet at all, they do go to the tray for that.

It tends to take them awhile to settle in a new place and they scatter poops all over to make it more like home. It tends to get better though. Pick the poops up and pop them in his litter tray to help him get the right idea.

Tamsin

The person that owned Edgar before me kept him in a hutch pretty much 24hrs a day, without a litter tray, in a shed.

He took to being a house bun and litter training straight away, although I did get him neutered as soon as I got him which most likely helped. I am lucky in that he has never shown any inclination to chew, so he has the run of the house 24hrs a day. Now, whenever I shut him in his crate (only for an hour every 2nd day so that I can let the chinchillas out), he has a major strop, chucks everything in the crate about and rattles the door until it's opened again:roll:.

I'm sure Dexter will be a great house bun. Your off to a great start if he already uses his litter tray for pees. You'll just need to be patient and pick up all the poos on the carpet and put them into his tray and if he seems to be going to one particular place to do the toilet, then put a litter tray there, hopefully he will soon get the message (at least the poos are easy to clean up with a dust pan and brush).

However he may not completely litter train until he is neutered because he will feel the need to mark his territory. So you may have to put up with a bit of mess until he is up to weight and you can get him done.

Fingers crossed it goes ok. :D

:wave:I also am trying to house litter train my bun! He is about 4-5 months old & i have just had him castrated last friday. I'm trying to get him to use his litter tray in his cage and he is weeing & pooing anywhere BUT the tray!! Hopefully, after a couple of weeks his hormones may die down and he MIGHT :roll:use his tray!! All i try to do is put some of his wee'd on sawdust and poos in the tray & on a couple of occasions he has used this but he's not a clever bunny & then wees/poos everwhere!! :cry: Very annoying & frustrating but i will perservere!! Hope you get there in the end too!

Back