• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help-urgent!!

cazh

Warren Scout
I left my rabbit this morning and she was fine, eating happily etc but I came back from work and she was lying down with her eyes shut. Apparently my mum sais she was running about earlier and throwing herself down onto her stomach. Now she's lying in a really odd way which looks really unomfortable and her eyes are closed and she's making this squeeking sound when i try to pick her up. what do you think's wrong? do you think I should make an emmergency vet trip?

no. She ate this morning but the carrot my mum put in this afternoon she hasn't touched. she's lying on her stomach kind of curled round and her ears are pinned right back and keeps figeting ooks really uncomfortable. I tried her out on celery for the first time this morning - she seemed to like it but maybe its made her stomach a bit upset. There's no droppings though...

no. She ate this morning but the carrot my mum put in this afternoon she hasn't touched. she's lying on her stomach kind of curled round and her ears are pinned right back and keeps figeting ooks really uncomfortable. I tried her out on celery for the first time this morning - she seemed to like it but maybe its made her stomach a bit upset. There's no droppings though...

Please get her to a vet straight away.

Janex

No she's not floppy. I tried to pick her up and she jumped and ran into her litter tray - so she can move. Her ears have pricked up a bit and her eyes opened, but she's still lying all stretched out in an unusual way. I can't tell if she's in pain or not. The emergency vet said its £150 + more for any treatment. Is this normal for most emergency vets? I'd happily pay that if I thought it was really bad but as this is my first rabbit i'm not sure what is classed as an emergency and don't want to pay unnecessarily if she'll be fine by the morning or at least ok until I can take her to the normal vet. Sorry for all the silly questions, i worry because its my first one and idon't know what to do.

No she's not floppy. I tried to pick her up and she jumped and ran into her litter tray - so she can move. Her ears have pricked up a bit and her eyes opened, but she's still lying all stretched out in an unusual way. I can't tell if she's in pain or not. The emergency vet said its £150 + more for any treatment. Is this normal for most emergency vets? I'd happily pay that if I thought it was really bad but as this is my first rabbit i'm not sure what is classed as an emergency and don't want to pay unnecessarily if she'll be fine by the morning or at least ok until I can take her to the normal vet. Sorry for all the silly questions, i worry because its my first one and idon't know what to do.

From what you have described it sounds as though your Rabbit has tummy pain. If she is not eating and has not poo'd then 'yes' it is an emergency. Unlike with other Pets 'waiting to see how they are in the morning' is seldom an option for Rabbits.
Please at least telephone the Vet who may be able to give you advice

Janex

Sounds like gut stasis - Egg is similar - no response to favourite treats - flops out on her belly a bit awkwardly - runs away if you go near her and purposely hides - slightly cold to the touch, and less alert than usual

Get her to a vets straight away- rabbits deteriorate very quickly when they stop eating and drinking, and might not make it through the night. It might not be stasis, your vet will be able to advise - be prepared to have her taken in for the vetinary staff to look after her overnight.

Get her to the vet right away.

Unfortunately it is a rabbit's instinct to hide their sickness. So often they are quite sick and will not show it. It is only when they absolutely cannot hide or have given up that we notice they are sick.

Sometimes by then it is too late.

They have very fast metabolism so anything going through their body can get bad very fast.

yeah doesnt sound good, well try another local vet and what there prices are for a emergency vet. but a must is getting her to a vet make sure she isnt in cold if she not very well, lets us know how she get on

Thanks for your help. She's staying over night at the vets. :cry: i'm so sad, she's going to be so scared, poor little thing.

Thanks for your help. She's staying over night at the vets. :cry: i'm so sad, she's going to be so scared, poor little thing.

Well done, she's in the best place. They will probably give her pain killers and gut stimulants - this will get her tummy moving again making her want to eat and poo.

Try not to worry too much, I'm sending loads of vibes, hopes she gets better soon. This happened to my bunny only days ago, I know how you feel, but mine is well again now and yours has the best chances now she at the vets.

Thea x

Hello,

Have you heard from your vets yet? I hope your bun is ok. You can call them up to check on her progress if they haven't called you yet.

Sending loads of vibes for your little girl x

I tried her out on celery for the first time this morning - she seemed to like it but maybe its made her stomach a bit upset.

My Dandelion can't have celery as it gives him a bad stomach. It took me three vet trips with tummyach to narrow it down to celery. The others are fine on though but now I avoid it completely.

I hope she's feeling better now.

Got her back from the vet this evening - she seems to be eating and drinking fine. She's definately a lot more alert but is still lying down a lot and is very quiet. The vet gave her a pain killer and gut stimulant and have been syringe feeding her. They said I need to be doing this about 5 times a day at least for the next few days or so to make sure she's eating. She seems to be eating fine now though - hay and veg. Do you think I should still be giving her the food in the syringe as well? I've tried and she wont let me put it near her mouth.... any tips on getting her to accept this if you think I should be feeding her this too.

thanks for the tip on the celery - i'll stay clear of it I think to be on the safe side!

Got her back from the vet this evening - she seems to be eating and drinking fine. She's definately a lot more alert but is still lying down a lot and is very quiet. The vet gave her a pain killer and gut stimulant and have been syringe feeding her. They said I need to be doing this about 5 times a day at least for the next few days or so to make sure she's eating. She seems to be eating fine now though - hay and veg. Do you think I should still be giving her the food in the syringe as well? I've tried and she wont let me put it near her mouth.... any tips on getting her to accept this if you think I should be feeding her this too.

thanks for the tip on the celery - i'll stay clear of it I think to be on the safe side!

Personally, if she is now eating for herself I would not syringe feed her. Just keep a very close eye on her poo. Make sure there are the 'normal' amounts of poo and that it is not looking very small, dark and dry.

Janex

Back