• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water bottle/Vets

Rose

Mama Doe
Hi :wave: My rabbit Jack is going to the vets on Monday 25th to be castrated. I am going to bring plenty of his food with me but his water bottle will not fit on his carrier its too big etc. Does he really need it, the journey to the vets is about half and hour.

No need to worry about that, buns will very often just sit very still and quiet in a carrier, it will just leak and make the floor wet. For half an hour I wouldn't give anything, and I wouldn't bother with water for any journey less than 2 hours - I'd just give a leaf of something moist like a spring green for up to that. I've travelled 4+ hours with buns before and they've never had a drink even if I've done a short stop off for them.

Hi Jack
Sounds like we will both be anxious parents on Monday. Fudge goes in for the same thing. I will do his pack up and pop his bottle in his pack up bag so he has it at the vets should he need it.

Any advice from parents about him going in would be welcomed...Im a very nervous parent and love my baby bun to bits!

I have another question:

I know i need to take some of Jacks food to the vets but do i need to take his water bottle and bowl?

Jack is not my first Rabbit but first Rabbit i have had castrated and i cant stop worrying.

No they should have those sorts of things - they ask you to take food because it isn't good for a rabbit to have a sudden change of diet so by taking your own, they can be sure they are feeding him the right thing.

When he comes home he will need to stay indoors overnight and many buns also prefer to drink from a bowl instead of a bottle after surgery so offer this as well as a bottle.

Good luck :D

Thank you for your help and advise. Is hutch is indoors anyway so thats ok. I thought that the vets would have a bottle and bowl, i always worry about these things.Jacks only 5 months so i cant stop worrying. :)

Hello Jack's parent

I too worry about my baby boy.Fudge is approx 7months old....he came to live with me in September and was told he was 8wks however it seems he wasnt necessarily that age.

Think I will send Fudge with his own bowl-and fleece blankie...well nothing like home-comforts to make you feel better. Like Jack Fudge is an indoor bunny..Im really worried about him going in for his little op but think it is a natural parent thingee.

Not sure how I will cope whilst he is in on Monday...Im at work so taking him before I start at 10am and have told the boss I need to leave at 5 to go pick him up. We are doing it Monday as I am off Tues/Weds/Thurs so can be a mummy to him without being at work worried about him at home alone....YES Im that paranoid!

I hope everything goes well, try not to worry, I know how you feel though, my buns are 3 and 9, and I still worry everytime they have to go to the vets for anything! I guess it just shows that we care. :D

Back