• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! Thumper is back from vet but still not eating

Kipper

Mama Doe
Thumper has been in overnight at the vet having had his back teeth filed down but hes still not eating much. The vet has told my Mum to feed him mushy food but hasnt said what sort of food. Any suggestions?
Ive given my Mum my left over metacam as the vet didnt give her any pain relief for Thumper & as far as Im concerned if the poor rabbits mouth hurts then hes hardly likely to want to put much in it

I think when the vet says mushy food he means pellets mushed up with water. This is what I was advise when Bobbin had stasis.

Boil the kettle and poor a small amount of water onto a small amount of pellets. Mush up with a spoon, check that it cools.

That is all I can say but hopefully someone else should be able to give you more advice. I'd say if he's not eating and pooing again soon he needs to see the vet again.

Did they release him before they witnessed him eat anything?

He's nibbled a little bit of hay but isnt eating properly. I cant believe the vet didnt prescribe any pain relief for him! Vet has said to bring him back in on Fri & to keepan eye on him

He's nibbled a little bit of hay but isnt eating properly. I cant believe the vet didnt prescribe any pain relief for him! Vet has said to bring him back in on Fri & to keepan eye on him

Glad he is eating something. Make sure he drinks too. It might be an idea to put some water in a bowl with low sides (if he usually has it from a bottle) might be easier for him if he's hurting.

Sending vibes xxx

Try and tempt Thumper with anything he likes. I usually get some potted herbs from the supermarket if they have a GA. Did they give you any Science Recovery in case you need to syringe feed. Plenty of fluids too.

I hope Thumper starts to eat soon.

Ive given my Mum some echinacea cos it aids digestion plus some soluble probiotic. Vet has also advised them to try syringe feeding if Thumper wont eat though didnt advise them what to feed. At least the bun is inside so someone will be with him most of the time.

If your vet did not give you any Critical care or Science recovery, then you can add lots of water to pellets so that they will go into a syringe. I was told by a nurse at the vets that this is basically what science recovery is. I always make sure that I have a couple of sachets in now just in case.

If you don't have a syringe any pharmacy at the supermarkets sell them for about 35-50p.

I hope you can tempt him with something before it comes to this. Good luck.

Thanks Bunny it always helps to chat things through with others Hopefully Thumper will pull through, hes such a lovely bun

Thumper is doing much better, eating softened food & munching his hay :D Its good to see him back to his usual happy self

Back