• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

yet another broken bowl

LavenderLamb

Young Bun
they need a heavy bowl to stop it tipping but yet again Archie and Susie have played lob the bowl down the ladder.

Sometimes the bowl survives but now we are on bowl three since they started this game grrrrrrr

I have had to use a plastic bowl today in mean time but this has been thrown around by them with relish after eating the contents.

Can you get suitable feeding bowls that attach to cage / door mesh - I use a hay manger that attaches this way so wondered if I could get a bowl like this too . . . I imagine something like a bird feeder like I used ot have in budgie cage years ago but bigger?

It can't be metal as for some reason metal bowls spook Archie and they are never heavy enough.

Plastic ones work just as well and are cheap and easy to replace and buns love playing with them :D

I've had this problem with Barley before, he went through stages of doing this - as you say sometimes they break other times they don't! He's broken two in one week before - he now get fed at ground level so he's nowhere to throw it down to!

Hannah

I've had the same problem with a pair of mine.

I don't like using plastic because all the food tips out really easily (and attracts vermin).

I have a couple of metal dog bowls that attach to a crate, but they don't fit on wire mesh.

I'd suggest swapping over to a treat ball for pellets and not bothering with a bowl at all. I haven't seen our buns bowl for ages, it must be in the back of the garage somewhere :lol: Scamp has never had a food bowl. All his pellets get hand feed, put in a treat ball, or hidden in boxes etc. to keep him occupied.

I have a large dog treat ball for my pair:
http://www.dog-toy.co.uk/dogproducts/?product=10
treatball05.JPG

and a cat one for Scamp:

treatball01.JPG

You can get rabbit specific ones too that are in between those two in size. They are all basically the same concept. A hollow ball you put the pellets in with a small hole they fall out of (some have adjustable holes).

It helps them exercise and keeps them occupied :D

My 2 do exactly the same with the large heavy ones and the plastic ones - just throw them down the ladder:shock: Most of it the time its when they are empty.

I use a velcro cable tie to attach sorrels water bowl to the side of her cage...shes never tried to eat it and it is easily removable and can be used again and again :)

I have the same problem with Skye, she has broken 3 bowls within a month. I now use a metal bowl that has a wee bracket to attach it to the hutch. But she's not as stupid as she looks :roll::lol: she can unlatch the bowl and still manages to throw it down the ramp! :lol:

You can attach coop cups to cages but I don't know if theyre too deep for a rabbit. They're originally for birds but we recommend them for puppies when theyre crate training as they knock bowls over.

I have a really heavy bowl that I keep pushed right in the corner. That way they can only push it harder into the corner.

If you get a large ceramic/earthenware dog bowl (designed for the likes of great danes, not jack russels) and place a heavy rock in the centre your buns won't be able to chuck it down the stairs, we have to this this with our dog so he doesn't tip his bowl over, plus it means he can't eat or drink too fast because otherwise the silly pooch makes himself sick.

Back