• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please re care after de-pluming

Kay

Mama Doe
Hello everyone,

Arthur just had his pre-op and he is booked in to be de-plummed in the morning. I am sure the vet will run through after care with my other half but I really need to get everything sorted tonight. Plus I have never gone through anything like this before as buns in the past had always been done before I got them.

Arthur is an outdoor bun but we were going to bring him the night of the operation as it is cold at the moment. Should we bring him in longer than one night? Our house isn't very warm (we don't have central heating) so I am not worried about the temperature change.

What will he eat? His normal pellets? or just lots of hay?

I figure water is really really important after a G/A due to dehydration but will Arthur be able to move enough to drink himself or should I think about a syringe?

Many thanks for your help, its new groun for me.

:)

Also just wanted to add its not that I don't trust my other half but I worry that the vet will tell him all the information and he will forget some of it. I wouldn't worry so much if I could take him myself but I have to work :censored:

Hi, My bun was de-plummed yesterday and you wouldn't have known! In fact i had to have i good look just to check it had been done:lol: He ate and drank straight away has peed and pooed and has generally bounced around buzzing etc just like normal. I kept him inside over night and he had trashed his hutch by the morning:roll: So he's gone back out today and no probs so far. I don't know how normal this is but I was so worried before and I needn't have:rolleyes: Hope your bun fairs just as well!
Wiggiex

I kept Inky in for a few nights when he was neutered, really until the weather warmed up at night a bit.

He was a bit sleepy when he got home but soon bounced back to his old self. Make sure he has a towel/vetbed/old duvet to lie on, otherwise he'll get prickled. Also, give him a bowel of water, a little pile of hay and some of his favourite foods, he'll need a bit of pampering.

Hi,

I have experience of neutered boys but not girlies. When my boys were neutered, they spent most of the time sleeping it off. All the blood flows to their wound, and their ears get cold. But this is normal. Here is a pic of the Benjamin after neutering.

STA70994.jpg

I made him a water bottle (although not neccessary) - it was warm not HOT! He didnt eat much during his return from the vets as he spent most of his time sleeping, but the next day he was his usual self. I would keep him inside two nights, and check his wound daily.

Don't use any megazorb/woodshavings as this can stick in the wound. Shredded paper, or just regular newspaper is fine.

This is only while he is inside. Make sure his hay is in a rack as well.

But dont worry, he will be fine.

ETA: Syringe feeding water is not neccessary, he will drink if he needs too.

Our buns are house buns so naturally they were inside after their de-plumming. We took the mezzanine off their hutch so they couldn't jump up. Just kept everything very low and so they didn't have to stretch or move too much to get anything.

aww thank you everyone this really puts my mind at ease especially after Chloe's sad news I have been really worried.

No news is good news and we can ring at 2pm to see how he is. There will be lots of pampering when I get home.

Oscarbunny thank you so much for posting the photo how sweet - bless him

Back