• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed

DJ'sMum

New Kit
Hi, i'm new to the forum and wanted to ask for some advice. My 3 year old bunny "Hutch" has had an op this morning to remove an eye :(

It all happened so fast, he was fine on saturday then on sunday it just swelled up and pushed his eye out of the socket :( The vet doesn't know what caused it but he lost sight in it completely so they decided it was best to remove it :( He's done well thru the op but they're keeping him in til tomorrow.. :(

So my question is, has anyone had this happen? And how is it likely to affect him? I'm really worried about how he'll manage and the risk of him hurting himself :(

Thanks in advance

Hayley..and hutch!

aww I am so sorry what a shock for you.

Sorry I can't be of any help but I have never heard of that nor seen it in my buns over the years. I hope someone on here can help.
x

Awww poor poor bunny i hope he makes a speedy recovery big hugs for you and bunny xxxxx

Ooooo did the vet give bunny a thorough dental coz i know that teeth problems can affect their eyes but whether it would be such a rapid onset i dont know, maybe an abcess or something behind they eye???? Anyway i really hope bunny gets better soon xxxxx

Hi,
we have a rabbit, Jess, who has one eye, she lost it before we got her. The previous owner said she lost it to an abcsess, she appears to cope very well, and isn't even very jumpy as I would have expected. I think once every thing is healed, your rabbit should be fine, just be aware that he may get a fright if he doesn't hear you.
Jess, our rabbit, also had teeth problems and had her incisors removed recently, and then developed an abcsess under her tongue. So that may be something to be aware of, his teeth may be a problem and he may be prone to abcsesses if that is what affected his eye.
Hope he gets well soon.

About 6 years ago i went out to feed my lop Merlin and i had a real shock as his eye was almost popping out.

We took him to the vets but he went down hill very quickly and the vet said he was unlikely to survive the operation to remove the eye as he was so poorly,so sadly he was put to sleep.The vet mentioned it was probably due to teeth but i was so shocked that one minute he was fine the next he was hardly moving.Merlin was a great Rabbit,i do miss him

I am sure Hutch will be just fine,sounds like he will be home very soon and having an eye missing wont bother him.Bless him

Jackie

I also have a rabbit, lexie, who lost an eye to a retrobulbar abcess. It occured before she came to me, t a year old (she is now 4). She required aggressive antibiotic treatment to prevent the abcess recurring but made a full recovery.

She has adapted well and many people dont even notice her missing eye. We have to be careful approaching her on her blind side and talk gently so she knows we are there and she has trouble judging distances. She often runs towards you and ends up running into your foot by accident.

However she is happy and gets about exceedingly well considering.

Hi, thanks everyone :)

I've just phoned the vets to see if Hutch can come home but they said he's not eating by himself yet :( he's about to have more meds and start to be syringe fed :( so they've said he can't come home until he's feeding by himself. They said phone tonight to see if there's any change. Hope he's home soon, everyone misses him, especially his guinea pig friend "Starsky"

They don't know what caused it, there is nothing wrong with his teeth, there was no abcess, no tumour.. so the vet said it was possibly a trauma to the eye which caused a prolapse. Fortunately it looks like there's nothing sinister and as long as he starts to eat soon he should make a full recovery :)

The bill so far is £225! But my little bunny's health is worth every penny :)

Fingers crossed he gets better soon then, poor bunny.

If he's used to having Starsky around then couldnt Starsky go and keep him company. That might cheer him up and he'll be more inspired to get better?

(I know all the bunny/GP pairing issues but if they are a bonded pair, then I would think it's the same as two bonded bunnies: they should be in together.)

Hi all, i went to see Hutch at the vets last night. Got the shock of my life, they'd shaved so much of his face he looked like a different rabbit :(

He was still not eating after his op and was being fed baby food by syringe, i took some carrot in for him but he wasn't interested at all. He's passed no poop since the op but has started weeing again. The bad news also was that they think he's lost his sight in the other eye, his pupil was still dilating and they can't actually see anything behind the eye but he seemed unaware of things around him (even tho he's bright and alert and hopping around!) I left the carrot sticks with him just in case.

Anyway the good news is.. just phoned the vet and Hutch ate all 7 carrot sticks i left and a bowl of baby food on his own thru the night :D

They're confident he's start to poop today and i've gotta phone back this afternoon to see if he can come home. :D

Another Q for you all tho... If he's totally blind what will his quality of life be? will he just adapt?

A very worried but hopeful bunny mum!

H :)

Poor Hutch, what an ordeal for him and you.

Am hoping you have had some good news today and he has been able to come home.

Thinking of you,
Vanessa xx

oooh poor boy :( My bunny Maa had an abscess pop her eye out a couple of years ago - it was caused by a piece of hay working it's way through her gum and out through her eye can you believe it - total freak accident :shock:

It cost nearly £500 as the abscess came back a couple of times after she'd had the eye removed - really you need to find out the cause of the abscess. Did your vet do an x-ray?

He needs a much higher fibre diet than baby food too - your vet should be feeding him fibreplex and critical care - you could either ask for some of that or mush up some of his pellets in boiling water, cool them with a bit of apple juice or pure fruit baby food mixed in for flavour, and see if he'll eat it.

make sure they've given him a fluids injection too, as he might have got dehydrated, and of course painkillers as he won't eat if he's in pain. I hope he gets better and the other eye recovers.

I doubt he'll mind being blind if he has a smallish, unchanging environment he can get used to, with no loud noises to startle him - When Maa came back at first she was deaf too, so I would stamp my feet so she could feel the vibrations and knew I was coming - that way she didn't get startled. Her hearing improved to make up for having less sight, so his should do that too :)

Hi, I would think after a wee while to get used to poor or no eyesight, Hutch will settle down well and adapt.
Jess, our one eyed bunny copes well; as does Snowy, our white ,red eyed angora lop, who is nearly blind- both him and Jess "scan" with their heads, but are happy and relaxed.
We also have a chinchilla lop with cloudy lenses and she can be a bit jumpy, I think she either hasn't good hearing or is just a bit lazy. If you pick her up without talking she will get a fright, and was rehomed because she was biting.She doesn't bite now, but we try to remember to talk before touching her.
Whenever we go out to the rabbits, we always talk before doing anything else so they know not to panic.
Hope Hutch recovers well, good to hear he's eating again.

My blind bunny copes really well as long as you leave things in the same place. Sometimes noises startle her and if its near feeding time she wont eat. I always leave her for an hour if this happens before panicing shes ill and shes always feeding when I go back to check.

Does Hutch Live alone? If so it might be helpful to get him a bunny companion for him to follow around and he will also be able to communicate with another bunny which will compensate for not being able to see. My lilly always follows the other 2 buns she lives with

Update and link to pic

Thanks everyone, ur all so kind

Well Hutch came home last night, he seemed reasonably contented but didn't eat at all overnight. I syringe fed him his baby food this morning but since then he's taken carrot and dandelion leaves off me

He was back at the vets this morning for his antibiotic injection and they seemed really pleased with him. Theres a slight possibility that he still has some very limited vision in his remaining eye, which is faboulous news, several times last night he seemed to see me approach and he was squinting at the torch light...the vet said that was a good sign.

He's still not out of the woods but does seem to be improving

Elve..the vet did x rays and its not his teeth, they said it was most likely a trauma to the eye and a prolapse, there were no signs of an abscess.

Hugo's There.. Hutch has a guinea pig friend, tho the vet has recommended that until his stiches are out to keep them separate as the pig may try to lick the wound. at the moment they're top and bottom in a 2 storey hutch. We're gonna start to slowly reintroduce them as soon as his wound looks better.

Thanks everyone for all ur support and advice :)

Here's a pic of Hutch post op.. i've linked it cos understandably some people may not want to see it

Click here

Am pleased to hear that Hutch is back home.

Am sending lots of vibes for a speedy recovery and hoping he regains some sight in his remaining eye.

What a brave bunny.
Vanessa xx

ahhhh - I have heard before that guinea pigs can damage a rabbit's eyes - I wonder if that's what happened :shock: Yet another reason for not keeping them together although more usually people worry about the piggie. I would actually worry now that he's blind about the pig startling him and getting kicked accidentally - plus if they've been seperated Hutch is very unlikely to accept the piggie again, and could kill him - I couldn't re-bond Maa with her 4 daughters after her convalescence - she attacked them!

oh bless him,i am glad he is home,he is lucky to have a lovely family to love him and care for him,i am sure he will recover quickly

Jackie

Back