• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Giving baytril

toadflaxbex

Warren Scout
My bun got given some baytril yesterday. The vet said to put it in his water bottle. I mentioned the other bun and he said it wouldn't hurt her to have any either. The thing that concerns me is- will he get what he needs from that... I mean if she has some then he wouldn't get his full dose, also the vet said to change the water daily and repeat as instructed. He is having 1ml a full tiny syringe, the vet did weigh him so I gather its the right dose.Is this a normal method using the water I mean?

A better way I read about last week here is to mix the dose in with some pure fruit or carrot babyfood, and let them lick it off a spoon. 1ml does seem a lot to me but someone else will have more idea about that - maybe your vet was thinking some would be wasted in the water?

I was told to syringe it straight into my rabbit's mouth OR put in the water - but not alwasy possible to get the bunny to stay still long enough to get the syringe in their mouth.

Or have thought about putting it on the pellets - but mines'a lone house rabbit so no danger of another bun getting at it.

putting Bayrtil in water bowl

Not heard of that before -Baytril is usually given orally by syringe. Does your rabbit drink every bit of her water?otherwise surely she would not get a full dose of Baytril?. Most rabbit owners say their rabbit hates the taste of Baytril-my rabbit hated the smell of it even(it IS disgusting!smell it!!)so can't imagine they would want to drink their water with it in?-(though it would be easier if they would!).
The only thing we had to put in her water bowl was a Probiotic called Biolapis (which helped the good bacteria thrive as the Baytril wipes out all bacteria including the good bacteria).
Maybe you could check again with your vet that that's how you're supposed to give the Baytril to be sure?. Hope your bun gets well soon-Sue:)

Also the Baytril is given according to weight of rabbit - our bunny was given 1.5mls Baytril once daily at the start of her myxi treatment.

I was told to use a syringe I found once you got the bunny in the right place there ok with it. Hamster are the tricky ones ....!

He weighs 2.5kg and he drinks a hell of a lot of water but not all of it which is why I was concerned that he wouldn't get it all. He has drunk it with the baytril in though. I started it off this morning and he lapped it up for ages.
Thanks so far for your comments. I may ring see what they say, as I am concerned he won't get the full on dose.

Adding it to the water is a bit of an 'old-school' vet way of medicating rabbits! Putting it in some fruit/food of some sort as suggested is far more accurate.

Adding it to the water is a bit of an 'old-school' vet way of medicating rabbits! Putting it in some fruit/food of some sort as suggested is far more accurate.

How do you think is the best way to give it then so he gets what he should get? He eats apples and sometimes carrots. ATM he isn't on pellets as have been advised to just let him have hay for the mo.

Thanks - I have to dilute it first don't I? I called the vets they said I can syringe it but it must be diluted in 10mls water first. Same when putting it in fruit :/

I've been told to put baytril in the water once before. It was when Molly had a bit of a runny nose, so I guess was given as more of a precautionary measure. The vet later decided he had hayfever.

Back