• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can a bun have myxi twice?

babybunnies3

Alpha Buck
As it says in the title, I've read on another forum that a bun has had nodular myxi and recovered but then went on to say that he won't ever have myxi again.

I didn't think this was the case but didn't want to post saying it was wrong if it wasn't?
:?

As it says in the title, I've read on another forum that a bun has had nodular myxi and recovered but then went on to say that he won't ever have myxi again.

I didn't think this was the case but didn't want to post saying it was wrong if it wasn't?
:?

They can get it again, sadly :cry:

Janex

Jane is right.
Our rabbit Chelsea was vaccinated against myxi and got nodular myxi. Our vet said she would have immunity from myxi for 6months, and then she will need another myxi innoculation.
I do need to check with him about when she should be vaccinated though, as she has had myxi for almost 5months now. She still has a small lump in the weeping eye, but otherwise all the other(30)lumps have gone and she is back to normal. I need to know if he meant 6months from when she got it or when the lumps went, and I will let you know.
-Sue :wave:

Yes- me too - phoned the vets just now and reception thinks Chelsea will need vaccinating again in April-(ie 6months from the START of the nodular myxi)which is what I think too, but as the vet is away for a week I will speak to him when he comes back and reply on here then, so keep a look out in a weeks time-Sue:wave:

Yes, Floss has had it two years running. Thankfully she was up to date with her vaccinations, so conrtacted the nodular form.

Yes they can have it twice. Damson had it once (in his 11th mnth when we used to have them vaccinated verey 12 months instead of every 6); and we were told to 'skip' that jab, but to have the next one done in 6 months time, and my vets very rabbit savvy.

Back