• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Handling bunny for the first time

Zorro

Warren Scout
Hi guys,
any tips or advice on handling my bunny, Zorro, for the first time???

We took the top of his hutch off last night & allowed him to come out but he just hopped about within the hutch, don't think he realised he could actually hop out of it though!!! :roll:

We are just letting him do it in his own time & going to let him come to us, so he is not pressured or scared.

Any advice or signs to look for during these first steps???

Hi there, sounds like you are doing the right thing to begin with. :thumb: If he still doesn't get the idea that he can come out try to coax him out with a healthy treat or his pellets.

However, I think I was a bit too nicey nicey with Bobbin for too long, and refrained from handling him for ages which didn't help him to get used to it. Because I never picked him up for "nice" things, only "bad" things like medication, nail clipping etc, I'm sure he only associates it with this.

Now days I pick him up to put him on the sofa for some greens, and I think he is getting the idea that being picked up isn't necessarily for a bad reason!

Let us know how you get on, obviously if he really detests being held, don't force it.

EDIT: When you hold him be sure to support his back legs with one hand as there are dangers that if they kick out too hard they can hurt them selves. A good idea is to wear gloves for the first few times if you are unsure, this will help with confidence and prevent you from being scratched!

Last edited:
Fantastic, great idea about the gloves, will give me & bunny confidence in each other!! :D

Thanks

You say you took the top off his hutch to let him out? I beleive rabbits don't like heights much, so he maybe he didn't want to jump out, and would come out if you opened a door onto a flat surface-can you do that with the hutch? Sit on the floor with some bunny treats and let him come to you first. Enjoy your new bunny-Sue:wave:

The hutch was on the floor, so he just had to hop over the bottom section (about 5inches high) but because he's probably been in a hutch from day one, he may not have realised it was possible to leave the confines of his hutch. If I had it my way he'd just be out permanently!!! he he :)

One thing that helps bunnies get used to identifying pick up time as good is not to pick up bun and put him/her away. Instead, when you want them back in the hutch, shepherd them. We tell them to go home and pat their bum all the way back home.

Our Tofu loves being picked up.

That's a good point, I will definately be shepherding Zorro rather than picking him up.

Back