• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kovu and Zazu...What to do for the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As most of you know, I got Zazu off Preloved, expecting him to be female, and then when I found out he was actually male I was reassured that once he was castrated, him and Kovu should bond ok.
Well at the moment, Zazu is still in a pen in my bedroom. I've had a few money issues and havent yet been able to afford Zazu's castration or vaccinations. I really could do with moving him out of my room as its not ideal for him or me, but would I be able to bond Zazu with Kovu (who is castrated) yet? Or will they fight due to the fact Zazu is still an intact male?
If I can get them together just yet...I really dont know what to do?!

So what can I do? Its likely to be a couple of months until I can get Zazu 'done', then you've got healing time for homrones to clear etc...likely to be about 3-4months till they can be put together?

But how is that an ideal situation? Zazu is in a 5 x 2.6foot pen in my bedroom, has limited out time due to the fact most of the house smells of Kovu and I dont have anywhere else to put Zazu.

It's not ideal..but this is why taking on another has to be very carefully thought about..I know you were mis sold a boy but , as you don't have the money to neuter or vacs..you may have had to keep a doe seperate if she was too hormonal to bond...

and there is a chance that even neutered the 2 boys may not tolerate each other..

a 5 x 2.5 ft pen is not that small..especially with time out..so don't be too hard on yourself....just get saving for the op!:D

I think a lot depends on their personalities, since I know there's a bonded pair of boys at my local rescue, one castrated the other not. However I think that's unusual - and it doesn't sound like you've got much room for supervised bonding either - have they ever met at all? Where were you planning on introducing them?

Thats what Im worried about...if I wait all this time, thenget him done, and it still not work...then its been a waste of time and money cos I definitely cant keep 2 buns seperate permanently. Hes in my way now which is why I needed to sort something out cos its not ideal for me having him in my room either!

I think a lot depends on their personalities, since I know there's a bonded pair of boys at my local rescue, one castrated the other not. However I think that's unusual - and it doesn't sound like you've got much room for supervised bonding either - have they ever met at all? Where were you planning on introducing them?

No they've never met...Carys suggested introducing them in the garden, as Kovu's not been out there for months and Zazu never has so its the most neutral place I've got (aparrt from the bathroom, but that isnt safe to have rabbits in really, supervised or not).

I think you're going to have to keep them seperate then get him done and ask a rescue near you to bond them for you..

They can be introduced in a pen outside but will this be secure for 24 hours for a few days?
Debs are you experienced with bonding?
if not I'd ask someone who is to help as its a same sex pair

Carys is going to help me! And she is experienced.
I just dont trust anyone to take my rabbits and still give them back...rescue ornot!

the problem will be supervising them in the neutral area for at least 3 days and nights - unless you do it in summer and set up a tent next to their pen? Possibility anyway :) But they really do need a few days and nights in the neutral area, because they need to make their bond to each other stronger than their bond to their territory - otherwise they may appear bonded but will fight once put back in their home area.

Weren't you in the process of getting a shed a few months back(or am I confusing you with someone else?) couldn't you use that?

Maybe if you had gone via rescue you wouldn't be in this situation now :roll: These things have to be carefully planned out, as does the accomodation and how to bond. If you get something off preloved, then you risk being in exactly the situation you are in now, and all you can do, is deal with it as people are telling you to here to give the rabbit the best outcome.

have you tried seeing what their reactions are when close to each other??

mine lived together with pen panels between them for 2 weeks whilst i was waiting for zola to be neutered. this enabled them to get used to each other. when they were together the first time they cuddled straight away!

it might be an idea housing them close together to see how they react to the smell and sight of the other bunny.

i know its not ideal the situation that your in and im not getting at you but if you cant afford this for your bun then why are you getting more animals?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back