• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stomach infection/baytril

cara

Alpha Buck
Posting on behalf of a friend who is a little vague with the details, but I will try to make sense of it:

Her rabbit, Charlie appeared off his pellets and carrots. However, he happily munched hay etc. I suggested a dental problem so she took Charlie to the vets.

Now ... the vet thought maybe dental or a hairball. Under a g.a. he found charlies molars to be not to bad, but he attended to them anyway.

He also found a stomach infection and has prescribed baytril. This is not something I have heard of before, and as I say my friend is a little vague with the finer details. She is taking him back on Wednesday and so with get more info. Meanwhile, Charlie is still not interested in his pellets (this maybe because he has had a dental?) but is eating other stuff.

Baytril and stomach infection - does this sound right?

I think its an anti-biotic isn't it? I got given some yesterday after my bun had some dental work and has a low white blood cell count so may have an infection. He gave him an antibiotic shot and told me to give him the baytril in his water.

Thanks for reply.

Yes, Baytril is an anti-biotic. I am just wondering why Charlie would stopping eating pellets but eat hay etc because he has a stomach infection and where baytril might figure in it.

Incidentally, others will advice I am sure - I am not a fan of giving anti-biotics in water as you do not know how much they have taken. Anti-biotics are given in a measured dose - it is will depend on how much water is drunk as to whether the correct dosage is consumed.

Cara

Hello,

It is usually advised to give antibiotics by injection as it is less likely to disrupt a buns dellicate tummy. Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic and is very often used to 'cover all bases' so to speak when a vet is unsure what exactly is wrong. I wonder what the vet means by a stomach infection.

When my bun was very poorly and developed enterotoxaemia after being given a penicillin based injection he was prescribed metronidazole, which is an antibiotic often used to treat stomach upsets.

How is the bun now?

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I wonder how the Vet came to that diagnosis :?
Antibiotics are often contraindicated in gut problems :?

This may sound daft but could you have misheard what the Bun's owner said. Did Vet actually say Bun has a GUM infection not a gut infection :?

I agree about not giving abx in water. You cant get an accurate dose

Janex

if bunn has anaesthetic too I thought afterwards it is common practice to give some recovery / liquid food to try and avoid stasis / I was also given probiotic too

Jacks-Jane, no, definately a stomach infection.

Apparently, the vet x-rayed Charlies stomach and that is how he came to the conclusion he has an infection. Meanwhile, although Charlie will eat most things - he will not touch his pellets.

Anyway he is back to the vets tomorrow so I have told her to get all the info.

Thanks for replys
Cara

Just to wrap up this thread, Charlie is now very much better. The vet told my friend that the infection (which he saw via an x-ray) was mucus in the lower bowel or stomach - I think:? - possibly caused by molar problem.

When she queried the use of baytril and the possibility of upsetting stomach he gave Charlie a three day injection.

Anyway, whatever the ins and outs, Charlie is now eating his pellets again so alls well that ends well, although the diagnosis still confuses me!

Thanks for replies,
Cara

Just to wrap up this thread, Charlie is now very much better. The vet told my friend that the infection (which he saw via an x-ray) was mucus in the lower bowel or stomach - I think:? - possibly caused by molar problem.

When she queried the use of baytril and the possibility of upsetting stomach he gave Charlie a three day injection.

Anyway, whatever the ins and outs, Charlie is now eating his pellets again so alls well that ends well, although the diagnosis still confuses me!

Thanks for replies,
Cara

Glad Charlie is better !! :D

Janex

Back