• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

daily activities

ksiusha777

Young Bun
Hello everyone,
I have two rabbits that are just over 2 months. I am fostering them, but I think I will keep them. I am new to rabbits, but am enjoying them very much. I also have two guinea pigs. With my rabbits, I know they need to run around a lot. Each day I take them from the cage and they run in the play pen for around 3-5 hours each day. It's spacious with hay, water, pellets, some toys and an igloo house. In the evening/night I put them back in the cage with fresh pellets, water, and hay. They snuggle together in the corner. This is about the routine each day. I am concerned that it is slightly boring for them. What do you do with your rabbits to entertain them? What else can I do that they will enjoy? What other activities are fun for rabbits?

Also, they seem to have litter trained themselves. They only go in the bin with the hay which makes the clean up easier.

When I sit in the playpen, they climb up on me and investigate me. Does this mean they are getting to know me?

Thank you for the help,
Ksiusha

Rabbits like routine. It may seem boring to us but to them, it's just life. Sometimes, to add variety, I let my girls stay in their hutch so they can sunbathe which they love.

Good to know:)

For the pen I use cardboard as a bottom, is this okay? They chew on towels, I was worried it would make them sick if it causes blockage. They chew on the cardboard now and then.

So do you think each day, if they sit in the cage and sleep, then run in the pen for 4-5 hours then go back in the cage that this is a good routine for them?

That sounds like a good routine, as long as it fits with your life too.

Cardboard sounds ok. What would be their flooring underneath the cardboard, ie, concrete, floor boards, carpet?

Under the cardboard is a rug, but they like to dig at it so I put the cardboard over it. What flooring do people generally use? What is a good type of bedding for the cage?

I have heard of people using that kind of plastic that goes under rolling desk chairs in offices for a floor cover. Maybe cover it with an old sheet.

I know what you mean. Do you think the bunnies will chew the sheet? I worry that they will.

What are the daily activities of your bunnies?

A sleeping/exercise routine is good. Like people, rabbit like to get up/go to bed at roughly the same time each day. If you are late for feeding or letting them out for exercise they are often waiting.

However when it comes to the exercise portion of the day then a little variation is a good way to make sure your rabbits stay mentally stimulated. This means providing them with toys and activities that make their brains work. It can be simple things like adding a new object which they can investigate, smell, nudge, through or sit on. This don't need to be expensive a brick from the garden, flower pot, plastic cup etc. You can also challenge them in other ways such as hanging up their vegetables so they have to stretch to reach them or putting some dry food in a box full of hay so they have to dig and search for it.

There is more info on toys here: http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabcare.html#toys

Thank you:)
So you think the routine I have been following is alright for them? Generally I let them in the play pen when I come home, around 3or so, then put them in the cage at 9 or 10. This is usual everyday. I will definitly try to add new toys to stimulate their minds.

As Tamsin says, they like routine so they'll adapt to whatever you say the routine is. They learn surprisingly quickly! I know when it's time to go to work or bed because my rabbit comes and stares at me very hard (he gets fed veg then).

Very good.

I've noticed they've been mounting each other, only one does this to the other. Then I picked her up and noticed something small and red just above her tail. I am hoping they are really both female... How can I tell the difference just to make sure? The shelter told me they were both female.

I've noticed only one bunnie does this to the other, never the other way around. When they become spayed, will this behavior stop? And when they do this should I stop this? I just feel bad for the other little bunnie.

Thanks
Ksiusha

You probably have a boy!

Can you see his plums? Have a proper look because sometimes they can be quite hard to see due to fur.

What are plums?

I'm going to take a better look.

They'll both be getting fixed in May, but I don't want to end up with little bunnies.

Hi

You asked about flooring for their playpen...so far the best thing I have found to put on the 'floor' of Fudge's playspace has been a cheap and cheerful polar picnic mat...it has fleece on oneside and the underside is plastic so waterproof should he accidentally piddle or spill anything...it also protects the carpet from nibbling and digging and seems quite nice for him to flop out on!

Oh goodness, does it look like a little boys bit? If you look by the bunnies tail if its a 'he' he'll have 2 balls, they'll probably only be little as he (she) is young.

They will in the next few weeks become more hormonal and mount each other, once you have them neutered that will settle but will still happen now and then because it is also a way of showing dominence. Makesure you keep an eye on them because it can end up in a scuffle, if they are ok dont stop them (as long as the other little bunny isnt distressed).

Them coming up to you is a great sign, its good to sit with them and let them come to you and start to build up a relationship, most bunnies love being stroked and made a fuss of :)

It sounds to me Ksiusha, as somebody new to rabbits, you are doing a very good job indeed.:)
I am sure that those 2 buns will have a lovely "fun filled" life should you decide to keep them.
All the best,
TP;)

They really are adorable:) I think that they are both girls, actually. There have been no fights, they get along very well. When I go in their room to the cage, they snuggle close to each other with their feet stretched out. I hope I am doing everything right. I haven't given them veggies at all, only pellets with hay(and water of course). Do you think a small piece of a carrot would be okay? How much is alright to give them? I wouldn't want them to get sick. I am undecided whether or not I will keep them, still need to think that over.

During the day, do your bunnies run in a pen, or sit in the cage?

When you let your bunnies run in a pen, do you sit with them a lot or how much time do you spend with them?

Thank you for your help,
Ksiusha

Back