• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molar spurs???

DDD

Mama Doe
Rabbits were checked today, and vet saw tiny molar spurs which she said were fine at present. How long does it take for these to be a problem? Will they definitely cause a problem???

And, when they had their myxo vaccs, she confirmed they have syphillis again, and start treatment again on Saturday, just 5weeks after a 3week course of penicillin.

My Opal has has molar spurs, but due to me giving her so much hay, she hasnt yet needed a dental, which is great. Give them as much hay as you can, the coarser the better, and it should keep the problem under control for a while. Keep getting the teeth checked though :D. The vet said Opal had molar tiny spurs months ago, but they havn't got any worse.

If the teeth are very misaligned though, then hay might not help that much, but it works in some cases and is definately worth a try.

So the Vet gave the Myxo Vac even though they have Treponamatosis ( syphillis) :?

Janex

Yes. It is not bad at the mo - to be honest if I didn't know it was syphillis, I probably wouldn't have been looking so closely! Myxi is very common here, so she thought better that they were vacinated than being left

Its a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' situation really.
Encouraging the Buns to eat a good amount of hay will help, but if their molars are maloccluded then they wont 'wear down' properly. If small spurs have been noted then regular check-ups are required. But I dont think its possible to give an exact time span as to when problems will occur

Janex

Its a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' situation really.
Encouraging the Buns to eat a good amount of hay will help, but if their molars are maloccluded then they wont 'wear down' properly. If small spurs have been noted then regular check-ups are required. But I dont think its possible to give an exact time span as to when problems will occur

Janex

OK thanks Jane. just wanted to know whether to worry or not. I'm going to choose not to worry as by the sounds of it, it will either happen or not!!! Rabbits eat a good diet, so hopefully will be less at risk.

Sometimes teeth problems are genetic, can be due to their mother having a poor diet when she was carrying them, not enough hay, misaligned jaw. Surround the buns with HAY, HAY, HAY, HAY..... and regular checkups.

Sometimes teeth problems are genetic, can be due to their mother having a poor diet when she was carrying them, not enough hay, misaligned jaw. Surround the buns with HAY, HAY, HAY, HAY..... and regular checkups.

Okey dokey - they have hay-a-plenty!!!everywhere they go there is hay. Vet will check them every 6months when going in for jabs.

Back