• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does anyone know how to...U/D 22 Feb Parsleys home but not good news

nina83

Warren Scout
make a bunny wee??? When i took Parsley to the vets on Wednesday coz he was struggling to wee she did something to his bladder to make him wee now he's stil struggling to wee and looks very uncomfortable so i was wondering how do i do it or would you not reccommend me to?

Last edited:
make a bunny wee??? When i took Parsley to the vets on Wednesday coz he was struggling to wee she did something to his bladder to make him wee now he's stil struggling to wee and looks very uncomfortable so i was wondering how do i do it or would you not reccommend me to?

I would definately *not* attempt to express his bladder yourself. A Rabbit's bladder is very delicate. If he is straining to wee he needs to go back to the Vet this evening

What treatment is he on?

Janex

The vet would have been palpating the bladder if reasonably full. I would advise not to do this if not shown/trained how to as there is a risk of damage if done incorrectly. Sounds like another vet visit is in order if he's still having problems.

Good Luck

Hello! Did the vet give him any medication and did he get any better in the meantime? When did he last wee? It sounds as if he does need to go back to the vets ASAP, I should think you could potentially do more damage than good without being certain exactly what you are feeling for. In any case, not being able to wee is not normal and must be very uncomfortable and possibly dangerous, so I would get him back to the vet ASAP in case it becomes much more serious.

Sorry for not replying as soon as i'd written the message i rang our vets who advised us to take him to petmedics. They've kept him in to keep an eye on him and catheterise him if necessary and they're gonna give him some vetergesic along with his panacur, macrobyl and metacam. Poor lil thing did not like being examined he was trying to crawl down my top he was very uncomfortable :(

When Olliver was in a coma the vet do the same thing. I wished I could do it for him so that he could feel better during the night but I didn't know how.

Well i rang for an update and they said he's more comfortable since having pain relief but still no wee they're feeling his bladder and arent worried enough to catheterise him yet but that may change through the night but they'll ring first thing with an update for me

He's just arrived about 15mins ago at Ashleigh Rabbit Vets so i'm waiting for them to ring once the vet has examined him. Still no wee though :( I'll let you know what they say as soon as i know. Thanks for the vibes everyone xxx

Well the vets rang just over an hour ago Parsley's now got gut stasis and hasnt pooped or urinated atall since going to the petmedics last night so the vets he's at now are giving him lots of gut stimulant and they've said his bladder is the size of a grape:? so they're gonna give him lots of fluids so make him wee. They're also gonna take some blood tests to see if his kidneys are working or if theres any problems with his bloods and when his guts start working again theyre gonna x ray him to see if they can see anything that may be causing the problem but they've assured me that's he's comfortable and are checking on him hourly. The vet thinks at this stage we can't rule out the EC being the reason for it all but we'll know more once the tests have been done. So we need lots of vibes please xxx

Thanks so much for the vibes. Miffy's gone really depressed since he's gone she's really really clingy my poor babies :(

Well the vets have rang again, Parsley's eating and pooping but not enough and that despite them giving him lots of fluids he's still not urinating enough but his bladder isn't enlarged which is good. They took a blood test this morning which has come back showing his kidneys ARE working YAY!!!!!! He does have very slight abnormalities in his bloods which they said is in line with his E.Cuniculi so the plan is to X ray him when his guts are working properly and they've given him another tablet to stimulate his bladder. Oh and he's taking his syringe feeds well too :) So heres hoping they get him sorted soon xxxx

Back