• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay cubes

Rice

Mama Doe
Has anyone ever used hay cubes before, they are little cubes of compacted hay? I have heard they are better for people who have allergies to hay because they aren't as dusty has a normal bag of hay. I'm wondering if anyone has used them before and if their rabbits liked them as much as loose hay? Do they also have the same effect of grinding down the buns teeth?

If anyone has used them before please let me know how you liked them! :D

My 3 have them now and again for a treat.. i always get the timothy hay ones. They do love them but they do leave a load of dust on the floor. I personally wouldnt give them just cubes in place of hay.. theyd need loads of them :shock:
You can also get disc shaped ones called Haybix which they also like :D

Mine have a few they occassionally nibble at but they prefer loose hay. It's just as good for wearing teeth down and obviously better for owners with hay allergies. But I'll stick to loose hay.

My little brother is allergic to the hay for my mom's bun, so that's why I ask. She still gives the bun loose hay but I wondered if hay cubes would be as effective and better for my brother's allergies!

preston has tried almost every variety and brand of these and just won't touch any of them. there's a guy at work with a rabbit and he must love us 'cos he gets all the cast offs that preston won't eat!

Mine eat hay cakes, but I would not replace hay by them. I doubt the small bits of compact hay would be sufficient to wear down the bunny's teeth.

Back