• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*OUCH* Sharp claws!!

RusselRocky

Mama Doe
I have a 8 week old Nethie, he is lovely in every way except he has little daggers on his toes, please can someone tell me, can I file them?? Or do something?? He loves cuddles and mooching about on top of us, but this hurts :( I dont want to not cuddle him, please help!!

Ah thank you, his nails arent too dark, he is being taken for a vet nurse check up so I will ask her if she can show me what to do with one?!? She is v.friendly and loves my buns!!

I was talking to my vet recently about claw clipping. I have always clipped them with clippers but she mentioned filing them, which can be less traumatic because you are less nervous about cutting to far and into the quick.

She also said it's a good idea to file them once a month, as opposed to clipping them every 3 - 4 months as obviously you can't file much off in one go.

I have yet to try it, but next time Bobbin needs his doing I am going to wip the emery board out! :lol:

Sounds like a creat idea... What type of board would be best?? I cant give him a french manacure :lol:

Hahaa! I think he would be distressed thinking you were trying to turn him into a girlie!! :lol:

Well the vet said just a normal one for humans, maybe try the softer ones as opposed to the metal one which has a sharp point, just in case!

haha crikey i think saffy would bite my hand off if i tryed that! Shes such a fidget, joey on the other hand would probably enjoy it... think abit he's camp! :lol:

1st paw was fine but I think it needs to be done in stages, he freaked out a little, poor little guy 1 paw at a time, did too much too soon, bad mummy :evil: Poor Billy I hope he forgives me eeek!!

Back