• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heater for bunny shed?

Madmoo

Alpha Buck
Hi All
Am just starting on my bunny shed. Thinking of getting heater with thermostat control. Can anyone recommend what type I should get? And also, what is a good temp to try and keep shed at?

Thanks

they really don't need any heating, so long as they've been out since autumn they grow a really thick coat :)

Hi All
Am just starting on my bunny shed. Thinking of getting heater with thermostat control. Can anyone recommend what type I should get? And also, what is a good temp to try and keep shed at?

Thanks

I use an oil filled radiator in my summerhouse...though just to keep the chill off during the night. They probabaly don't need it but it makes me feel better.

mine have a low cost dimplex radiator , well actually 2 on low over night, Lots of rabbits have been confused by the weather so don't have full winter coats dispite being outside!!! and all mine are moulting well! my outdoor buns are worse than my house bunny !!! I wasn't having the heaters on much until the last few weeks but at least no ones cold!!!

Personally I wouldn't bother with a heater considering naturally they cope with freezing temperatures very well provided they have a winter coat. Rabbits cope better with cold than they do with heat.

My vet told me today that many bunnies are confused by the weather so keeping them warm is the best thing to do , My outdoor bunny is moulting so much he has large clumps coming out!!! i took him to the vets in case it wasn't normal he laughted at me and told me to move him indoors to keep him warmer

There's not much point heating a shed if it's got no insulation. Insulate first and then see how cold it really is.

If you' ve got electricity in your shed you could indulge them in a greenhouse heater (which I'd do if i had elec.)

Two of my sheds are well insulated, and my playhouse isn't ('cos I'm changing it to a shed soon)

After a freezing night (around -4) the water bowls in the insulated sheds are OK, but the uninsulated one the bowl is frozen solid, so maybe insulation is probably the first best step to try?

I've got a small oil filled radiator in mine..... I put the neutered fosters in there and the heating has been a godsend..... well actually I have Wilkos to thank for it and they are £14.99 (tho I paid £10 last year)!

keeeping warm

My lovely little boy is on his own at moment whilst getting fit and strong enough to be bonded. He's v skinny (poorly stray!) and so am really concious of hm feeling the cold on his little bones ...

Consequently, my outside hutch has an old duvet on top with a thick tarpaulin on top of that.

Inside, I line with loads of newspaper and fleece blankets and towels. He also has a snugglesafe to warm and dry his little paws. Wasn't sure if he'd like it but he's often lying on it. How do you attach/upoload pictures on here?

The bedroom has a huge cardboard box filled with loads of hay, newspaper on top of box and an old pilllow too for extrra warmth. I also fill a hot water bottle and put it inside a tupperware box and slot it in the side of the box.

Just bought a new shed to accomodate himself and his new wife so looking at getting a tubular greenhouse heater and/or a Petnap...

Has anyone used/know anything about those heat lamps used in catteries for buns?

Back