• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can you tell a bunny in the neighbourhood is a stray or a wild rabbit?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
This question never come up until tonight. I saw a white bunny in my front yard around 9 am. I thought if it is a stray bunny, I should catch it and send it to SPCA. Because all the other wild bunnies I've seen are all grey and they looks different.

However, that doesn't mean a white bunny can't be a wild rabbit. So what's the criteria and if he is a stray bunny, how do you catch it?

I would think a white bunny would almost certainly be domestic as it would not survive in the wild. Try putting some food out and see if you can catch it?

I can't remember, but I vaguely recall there are a few wild rabbit in this neighbourhood that are white rabbits. At the time, I have no camera, and it's been a long time

Wild rabbits in the US are cottontails which is a different species to the wild rabbit in the UK (european rabbits). Cottontails can't interbreed with domestic rabbits so ny white rabbit would have to be an albino or an escaped pet. It is possible for pet rabbits to be released and breed which could explain the previous rabbits you saw.

You'd need to look at shape to tell albino cottontail from domestic pet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottontail_rabbit

I would say an albino cottontail is very very rare and the chances of making it to adult hood even rarer. My best guess would be domestic.

To catch it the easiest thing is to get it into an enclosed pen then shut the gate. A puppy pen or similar can work or tempt it into a carrier with food if you can get close. You can slow a running rabbit by throwing a sheet over it. Otherwise a cat rescue/humane society might have a cat trap you can borrow.

Tam

Back